MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard rumors about this possible change late last year. And it has come fruition - The MR2 is now dual classed in ITA and ITB for 2016. ITA weight with 7" wheels is 2000lbs, ITB weight with 6" wheels is 2335 lbs. I also saw where climate control and heater core can be removed.

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/011/756/January_2016.pdf?1451503762

ITA is kinda where I have my loyalty..it's where I "cut my teeth", where I initially got my interest for road racing, after watching several friends racing.

But, at 185lb myself, I cannot seem to find a legal way to make even the 2335 weight for ITB, let alone ITA! Should be interesting to see how many jump ship from 'B to 'A, run dual class as is, or swap weights for dual class. Heck, I'm interested to see how to even make ITB weight!!!

#11 ITB
WDC-SCCA

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
There are some ways but you have to follow some guide lines. I currently cross the scales at 2380-2400 lbs. I am 200lbs myself run an 86'.

Start with the earliest model possible. My 86, prior to all the extra stuff I have done to it weighed right at 2300 lbs (pre plitter, brake ducts, huge oil cooling system. Chip's car on here is nearly identical to mine (same cage, similar build, similar setup) and his car is some 50lbs lighter than me without trying possibly because it was an 85. Another one of our cars is an 87' and with all the same things done the car is about 60lbs heavier than my car.

I measured the weight of the HVAC system in my car (that was already gutted to the prior rules). With the heater core, blower motor, all the plastic bits, and the HVAC control panel it was just under 20lbs.. so that will help, but at the rate I am gaining wait.. not enough! haha..

·
Registered
532 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
that I think is very doable with the allowances in HP.

Someone needs to build one and I will follow their development! haha

·
Registered
532 Posts
Heck, you could run an ITB MR2 as is in HP. Why not double dip?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Heck, you could run an ITB MR2 as is in HP. Why not double dip?
Down here in the SE (well at least in FL) it is very serious. One of our local guys (AJ) was leading until getting taken out at the checker. There are a few cars that could have also gave him a run for his money if their cars did not break prior (Louis) or at the runnoffs (Jay).

I am very competitive so for me to make the jump I will want to be able to win or at least be up front. That is not going to happen in our area. Besides the ITB field is strong down here (last sebring race there was 15 or so)

We have a chassis that we could, and I want to.. but $ and time.. both I have limited of.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think the ITB MR2 would do ok in our WDCR HP class. My point being that in the MARRS series, if your car is eligible, you can run in 2 classes and get a discount on the second registration fee. Lots of track time and lots of fun. Miatas seem to be the prime choice for taking advantage of it (like 3 or 4 classes) and it's becoming more competitive and popular. The only logistical issue is not running in back to back groups, but that seems to have been sorted out. And of course the added expense.

:thumbup

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one at close to 2400lb. Even with the discrepancies between the 85 and newer models, we would still be looking at loosing close to 300lbs. (Maybe 200 if we put AJ or Doug in my car :smile2:).

To AJ's point, we could even triple dip in WDCR. Theoretically, you could run FP, ITA and ITB. Not competitively, but we'd get tons of track time!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, we found it while installing the driver's seat. I think it (they) weighted maybe 5lbs each (driver's and passengers)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I took them out my car. bracket (drilled spot welds with spot weld cutter), metal chunk, and bolt hardware weight just under 4 lbs per side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts