MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THE ENTRY FEE
The entry fee is $4,000 to $5,000 USD, depending on when you register. The fee covers nine (9) nights of hotel rooms (one double room), race administration, certain meals, receptions, fiestas, liability insurance, racing jacket and other souvenirs, staffing, and the costs of producing the event in Mexico and the United States. A medical team and crash team travel with the race, in addition to local emergency services.

A discount will be given to those who register early.

If you register before January 31, the fee will be only $4,000.
Between February 1 and February 28, the fee will be $4,500.
After February 28, the full fee of $5,000 will be charged.

It is also possible to enter half of the race or for a shorter period of time ($650 per day).

The first night of the rooms included in the entry fee will be April 22, 2004 in South Padre Island, Texas. The last night will be April 30, 2004. If you plan to arrive early, or stay late, or need an extra room see ?Extra Hotel Rooms? below.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I am only being 1/2 serious and I am highly doubtful the community would all chip in a $1. It is nice fantasizing though :)

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
According to the dates, the race already took place. ;)

I was trying to figure out what class the MR2 would be in but it was difficult to interpret:
There will be four classes of cars.

Two classes have been created for stock, small-bore sedans: Group ?A? under 1600cc and Group ?B? beween 1601-2200cc. These cars should be as stock. The following items may be replaced: air filters, shocks, springs, clutches, and brakes pads, as long as they fit in the same locations.

There will be two additional classes for cars from 2201cc to 3999cc, and those over 4000cc. A supercharger or turbo will move the car up at least one class. Cars over 4000cc will be in the ?Special? class. Cobras, Corvettes, Ferrari, Porsches, Vipers, and similar performance vehicles will run in this class.

This is a ?run whatcha brung? race. The Organizers retain the right to divide the cars into as many (or as few) classes as necessary to promote fair competition.
This site, http://www.desafiodelafrontera.com/English/Home2.htm, is actually the official site. On the registration page, these are the classes that it lists:
-1.6L: Cars with engine less than 1,600 cc.
-2.2L: Cars with engine less than 2.2 cc.
+2L: Cars with engine bigger than 2000 cc, up to 4000.
-2LT: Cars with engine less than 2000 cc Turbo.
+2LT: Cars with engine less than 2000 cc Turbo. (<-- typo??)
Special: Cars with over 4,000 cc or with
special characteristics, to the Organizing Committee criterion.
They only have five competitors registered to date: http://www.desafiodelafrontera.com/English/Pil/pilotos.htm
1 - 2001 Renault Cl?o 1600
2 - 1954 Morris Minor Traveler
3 - 2002 Mitsubishi Evo 7
4 - 2000 Chrysler Viper
5 - 1954 Mercury Panam

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TBECK, top right corner of the main page:

"April 22 - April 29, 2005
Matamoros, Mexico to San Diego, California"

:)

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
You were the one who said 2004 in the first place. :jose
JekylandHyde said:
The first night of the rooms included in the entry fee will be April 22, 2004 in South Padre Island, Texas. The last night will be April 30, 2004. If you plan to arrive early, or stay late, or need an extra room see ?Extra Hotel Rooms? below.
:banhim:

If you want a copilot, I'm sure I can swing the time at work. I'll even donate $100 if you want to try to get 45 people to do the same.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
man this event would be awesome to enter. But my car would get own3d all over the place in the top speed runs. 140mph top speed = GAY.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
ah.... kinda has the feel of a scam.... No firearms, Must have pinkslip....

Who knows..... could be a good thing. We should get one going in montana!!

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DOH!

"It is highly recommended that cars maintain at least 20 cm of ground clearance given the condition of the pavement in certain areas and the widespread use of speed bumps in Mexico. The pan and low parts of the car should be protected with a bash plate."

... Hyde would be too light by their rules and he would also not meet some of their other requirements. Oh well :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts