MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Any chance it is him and he is indeed selling the car?

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
true.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Come on... the pictures list the price as $2950.00, and the seller has 0 feedback. Is there any question in anyone's mind that this is a scam? Ebay really needs to hire some detectives to sting a few of these high-dollar scammers every so often... send a message to other potential scammers and clean up their service a little.

Not long ago there were scammers trying to sell the URLs of websites where you could supposedly buy a $1000.00 navigation system for $100.00. It was so painfuly obviously a scam, and yet there were hundreds of these offers cluttering up the system. It made it a pain in the butt to actually try and shop for one of these systems because you had to sift through all the bogus ads. At any rate, I sent an e-mail to e-bay explaining that they should do something about these ads, since they were making me lose confidence in the service. Lately I haven't seen any more such ads. I'd hope they'd do the same for some of these bogus car ads.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
How is it a scam....The winner will go to SC to buy the car, and if it isnt that car....the seller has mis-represented him/herself...

I guess the only money you may be out is the downpayment.

edit...nevermind..look at this fine print...

ebay ad said:
This vehicle is being sold as is, where is with no warranty, expressed written or implied. The seller shall not be responsible for the correct description, authenticity, genuineness, or defects herein, and makes no warranty in connection therewith. No allowance or set aside will be made on account of any incorrectness, imperfection, defect or damage. Any descriptions or representations are for identification purposes only and are not to be construed as a warranty of any type. It is the responsibility of the buyer to have thoroughly inspected the vehicle, and to have satisfied himself or herself as to the condition and value and to bid based upon that judgement solely. The seller shall and will make every reasonable effort to disclose any known defects associated with this vehicle at the buyer's request prior to the close of sale. Seller assumes no responsibility for any repairs regardless of any oral statements about the vehicle.

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Although, i dont disagree that this could be a scam (i know I wouldnt bid just based on his feedback of 0) its not unusual for people to sell sports cars on ebay this way. He started the bidding at $500.00 on the 31st and its up to $4450 already.

Anyone who knows the value of this car will recognize if they are getting a good deal or not and bid if they think they can keep it at that price.

What i would be careful about is the list of undisclosed bidders (19 of them so far) There is no way to tell if his buddies or who ever are bumping the price up for him!

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Everyone,
Yes, that is in fact a scam! Thank you for informing me. I sold that car last November to Patrick Horvath in Cincinatti (I think) Ohio (I know for sure) for $8,600 so I really doubt he would sell for any less and the fact I still keep in touch with him also tells me it's a scam. He actually has the car down right now replacing intercooler connectors and a suspension upgrade. The description they give is the exact one from my car domain site found here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2087366

They simply just copy and pasted. What are the proper steps I should take to save the members of eBay from possible agony of a scam? I will comply with everything needed even a VIN etc. Thanks!

Josh

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
I will also be contacting Patrick to let him know of this. I am also searching for the VIN to double check but I believe they have posted the correct VIN and how they got it I have no clue unless they went search through my forsale ad or even the one from the guy I bought it from. I will post shortly.

·
Registered
941 Posts
This ebay ad seems to have the basic same set up as a recent white 95 MR2 Turbo that was listed twice (the location and mileage were changed the second time it was posted, but it used the same pictures). They have switched to another car, but still use "The Price is" cheap thing, and also has a seller who is new with no feedback.

The second time the 95 was posted, it was removed fairly quickly, so perhaps someone from ebay caught it. Regardless, I would agree with dsf3g that ebay could use a few detectives, or at least provide users with an easier way to report possible fraud, such as a "Report this Item" link on the ad.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.