MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd put up a few pics of what it looks like inside our superchargers..

Firstly, knocking the end plate off (I'd already pulled the clutch and gear cover off..)

Once the end plate is off, you can see the rotors.

Here's the inside of the housing.

And a close up of the housing wear.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

You need a rattle gun to get the bolts off the gears.

Then a gear puller (a smaller one would have done, but, I don't have one...)

Then you can get the rotors out.

Closeup of rotor wear (the marks at the bottom are water).

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

This port leads to the inside of both bearings.

The other two ports lead to the back of a bearing each.

I also might have found a supply of new bearings, but, I'll have to wait until next week to find out...

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
I would love to rebuild my SC12 to ensure maximum sealing and output. I would rebuild it in a heartbeat if the parts were readily available.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
posted by verno-dub
Looks like kbox is way ahead of you guys :)
I started over a month on a SC12 I have here on the floor. Got stuck on driving out the shafts. The people undrneath me didn't appreciate the hammer banging. :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The lighter patch across the tip of the rotor looks worn. I'm not sure if it's supposed to wear down for sealing, or, if it's gone with age..

If you have a look at the pics of the housing, it's full of small scratches, I'm sure that each of them are leaking a little.

·
Registered
1988 MR2 SC OPM
290 Posts
Great job on the teardown, Ben! The only other time i'd seen what the inside of a roots-type supercharger looks like is from the diagram pages of an old Car and Driver magazine featuring the '88 sc mr2.
Question: For a sc that's majorly losing sc oil to the tune of Full line to Empty in about 14 days, where would the fluid be escaping from? What would your opinions be wrt rebuilding or replacing the sc? I doubt if this is something I can do myself.
I don't mean to hijack this thread.... anybody with ideas to my question, i'd like to hear from you and appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=596790#post596790

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Kootch27, there is an "O-ring" type seal in the oil tank cavity (gear case cover). It's my understanding that the SC can leak from this seal wearing out. It can be ordered separtely and replaced. I suppose it could also be losing oil through the bearing seals and going out of the supercharger to the intake system?

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
In case that oring is leaking. I do have them. Just have not had time to add them to my web site.

For future reference, I may also add this oring to the 4AGZE rebuild kit. Since Toyata doesn't include it.

·
Registered
1988 MR2 SC OPM
290 Posts
kbox, what's your website? I'd like to check out the 4agze rebuild kit you have there.

Ben, thanks for your input. I highly appreciate it! After some research on 'ticking sound' + exh manifold leak, I think that's what's going on. I will find out for sure this weekend when i remove the heat shields and inspect the exh mani & gasket for cracks.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.