MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 2.5" too big?

I have 2.5" right now... no cat, to a turbo muffler... with a stock 2.25" 90-degree left coming right off the flex pipe. Follows stock path. Turbo II muffler is placed really close to tail pipe... Sounds terrible - raspy and holey. Getting fixed. Need suggestions.

I'm thinking of getting an HKS with 2.5" piping through and through, no cat... following the stock exhaust pathway. Yay, nay?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've always felt that 2.5 inch exhaust was the ideal for the SC.

I've had the HKS on my car for almost 8 years now and for the most part I have been pleased with it, it has a nice tone, not too noisy and seems to add a bit more power than the stock setup as I recall. However during the last year one of the brackets that holds it in place broke, I had it rewelded and it is about to break again.

Given that I am afraid the HKS is going to fall off on the highway some day soon, I have been thinking about going with the Fujitsubo Stainless Steel cat-back to replace the HKS, but my concern is similar to yours, the HKS is 2.5 inch piping while the Fujitsubo is 2.3 inch, I'm not sure how much if any difference that will make on my SC.

The other option is to see about getting a custom exhaust fabricated, which could potentially be much more expensive than even the cost of the Fujitsubo.

If anyone has experience with the Fujitsubo, or has a custom setup they would like to share, I would certainly be interested in hearing about them as well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i think 2.5 is just fine i mean most other modified 1.6-1.8 liter engines run that same diameter piping naturally aspirated.

·
Registered
630 Posts
NickBrewer said:
I've always felt that 2.5 inch exhaust was the ideal for the SC.

I've had the HKS on my car for almost 8 years now and for the most part I have been pleased with it, it has a nice tone, not too noisy and seems to add a bit more power than the stock setup as I recall. However during the last year one of the brackets that holds it in place broke, I had it rewelded and it is about to break again.

Given that I am afraid the HKS is going to fall off on the highway some day soon, I have been thinking about going with the Fujitsubo Stainless Steel cat-back to replace the HKS, but my concern is similar to yours, the HKS is 2.5 inch piping while the Fujitsubo is 2.3 inch, I'm not sure how much if any difference that will make on my SC.

The other option is to see about getting a custom exhaust fabricated, which could potentially be much more expensive than even the cost of the Fujitsubo.

If anyone has experience with the Fujitsubo, or has a custom setup they would like to share, I would certainly be interested in hearing about them as well.
Measure the diameter of the pipe between the two muffler cans on your HKS system. On mine it measures about 2". Based on this the Fujitsubo should be an improvement in diameter.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
OEM Toyota mufflers I have had on my NA and SC cars have all had an annoying drone or resonance at or around 3k rpm while driving.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
Comparison of the Fujistubo and the HKS sc exhausts:
http://www.pbase.com/aw11mr2/image/55040329

The inside diameter of both inlet pipes are essentially the same
(2.2 inches/56-57 mm). The Fujistubo has a larger flange opening
but the pipe tapers down right after the flange.
http://www.pbase.com/aw11mr2/image/55039406

The HKS exhaust has a cross-over pipe approximately 2.0 inches
in diameter between the two muffler canisters. The dual outlet
pipes on both exhaust have the same outside diameter
(1.7 inches/43 mm).
http://www.pbase.com/aw11mr2/image/55039491

1 - 10 of 10 Posts