MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PO didn’t have it installed...still don’t understand why but no need to get pissed at something out of your control. The intercooler was pretty much sitting on top the battery. How it never shorted out I’ll never know.

I’m starting the process to design my own but I still need help even after searching pics here.

I can’t find a used one and I’ve found the bracket is no longer available. I was however able to buy a plastic replacement tray that fits but doesn’t help my situation. All it does is properly locate exactly where the battery should go so I can take measurements from there.

question 1- Are the tabs for the intercooler near the battery located flush with the top of the battery? From what I’ve setup it seems they are dropped down about 1.5” from the battery top surface.

question 2- How is the battery tray bolted down to the frame bracket? The plastic tray I bought just sits in there, no holes for screws I can see.

question 3- where do the j-hooks go?

any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Here is what the battery clamp looks like. There are 2 J-hooks on the sides and it also connects to the virtical brace behind the battery.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,228 Posts
There's not much offset between the top of the battery (Group 35) and the mounting surface of the IC support/mounting tabs. I'd say around 8mm give or take. It's such that the IC sits level / flush with the seal molding under the engine vent.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. I’m going to have a shop laser cut this prototype and see how it fits. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Looks good! These things deteriorate and rust apart so a few guys might be able to use one.
I would coat it in something that doesn't conduct electricity. Plasti dip maybe?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good! These things deteriorate and rust apart so a few guys might be able to use one.
I would coat it in something that doesn't conduct electricity. Plasti dip maybe?

I was going to have it powder coated. I also thought about cutting some adhesive backed foam for the top surface

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sanded, cleaned and painted POR-15 Chassis Black. I’ve sent my design to a laser shop so I’ll post up when it’s done.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts