MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's probably just that pontiac roadster thing in a different set of clothing. What is with GM and selling the same cars under different names. Who are they trying to fool? Make it look a little different and try to pretend it's a totally different car. I guess it's because we Americans are lazy. GM being an American company must be lazy as well. I'm just tired and ranting.

Camaro = Firebird
Cobalt = Redline
Cavalier = Sunfire
etc. etc. too tired to think of more

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
TOMIMOTO said:
It's probably just that pontiac roadster thing in a different set of clothing. What is with GM and selling the same cars under different names. Who are they trying to fool? Make it look a little different and try to pretend it's a totally different car. I guess it's because we Americans are lazy. GM being an American company must be lazy as well. I'm just tired and ranting.

Camaro = Firebird
Cobalt = Redline
Cavalier = Sunfire
You think GM is the only company that does that??

Remeber Eclipse=Laser=Talon? Stealth=3000GT? Corolla=Prizm? and there's a lot more. Its actually so that different dealerships have a more equal share of the car and also there will be different options packages available.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I love the Sky. Looks great, and I think it will perform well too.

Originally Posted by TOMIMOTO

Camaro = Firebird
Cobalt = Redline
Cavalier = Sunfire
You're right, its an Opel with Saturn badges.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
I'm guessing it will be really easy to get the opel front grille too and just swap them out...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looks relativly good.....too bad it wont be a super performer. Pushing 2800lbs+ in preproduction trim does not sound promising...It certainly will not get lighter in production.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
i read that it was supposed to be a "lightweight" 2700lbs (R&T). definitely light compared to the piggish cars they're making these days, but nowhere near miata/mr2 spyder range. hopefully, they make up for it with looks and a little bit of power. i've heard engine options are 2.4L NA 4cyl with 170hp or 2.4L SC 4cyl with 210hp. the latter would give a stock MKII Turbo a real run for its money (or even beat it)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is there even talk of a coupe version? The Sky looks good and has RWD, so there's lots of potential, but I'm just not into ragtops.

tasteycow

·
Rocket Scientist
1,698 Posts
Ozymandias said:
Yeah it's not the "pontiac thing under a different name" it's an opel with a gm powerplant.
Since GM owns Opel, would that make it a GM with a GM power plant? :)

The Sky is based on the Kappa platform, GM's new small RWD "personal car" platform. Mechanically it will be almost indentical to the Pontiac Solstice. The body panels will be different, as will the option lists, but that's about it. They'll differ as much as the Vibe/Matrix. GM has mentioned selling a Kappa variant in Europe under the Opel brand, one which will resemble the Sky much more than the Solstice. The look of the Sky bears a close resemblance to a red Opel GT "concept" that was batted around a year or two ago. I'm not sure if I'd call the Sky an Opel, though...it's built on a new-from-the-ground-up "world" platform that was essentially launched by the Soltice. I'd complain about the badge engineering approach, but my favorite manufacturer does it all the time with Toyota/Lexus. :)

That having been said, I'm following the development of the Kappa cars fairly closely, and if I end up with a Sky I'll be getting a vanity plate that says "Opel GT" on it. :)

Oh, and every last bit of rumor and rampant speculation about the Kappa cars can be found at:

www.solsticeforum.com

-Stephen M

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
GM has mentioned selling a Kappa variant in Europe under the Opel brand, one which will resemble the Sky much more than the Solstice. The look of the Sky bears a close resemblance to a red Opel GT "concept" that was batted around a year or two ago.
It's really confusing what is coming from where. As you say there is already an Opel concept which kind of resembles the sky, and this pic from the other thread I linked to shows the EXACT same car just with opel badges.

And the car WAS designed in the UK. Where it was engineered is a different story I guess.

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
I've always thought saturns were the ugliest cars in the world (my opinion) but that roadster looks pretty good. Though it has its work cut out for it if it wants to give some credibility to saturn.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts