MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed on ats racing website that their rom tune moves the revlimiter up. i was just wondering what was a safe rpm limit with stock internals.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
10K RPMS :thumbup ask truglio, he's done it ;) haha, j.k. Actually i kidna wondered about this. What turbo are you using that you need extra rpms, also what VE changes have you done to shift the powerband?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a ct27. the question wasn't really about my car just kinda curios about what is safe with stock 3sgte internals.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Torque on a stock VE engine drops off above 7000 rpm at a rate that makes the ideal shift point at, or before, 7000 rpm anyways, so a higher redline wouldn't help acceleration if that is the goal.

Bruce

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
I've rev'ed a stock-bottom end 3SGTE to 7600 rpms.
The head was stock except for HKS Cams, but it still had the original springs, valves, etc. This was on the 200K motor we just builed out.

I would not recommend revving that high though :)

Bruce H. said:
Torque on a stock VE engine drops off above 7000 rpm at a rate that makes the ideal shift point at, or before, 7000 rpm anyways, so a higher redline wouldn't help acceleration if that is the goal.
A "stock VE" engine would have CT26 in place and torque would fall off way before 7000 and the ideal shift point is nowhere near 7K (except for 1st).

Regardless, the point at which torque peaks and/or starts to fall off is not the ideal shift point.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
My buddy used to rev to 7900 on stock internals w/metal headgasket. The motor never blew up when he had it. He had a T67 with TMIC and had an ECU tuned by JUN racing. I now have the JUN ECU and rev to 7900. I have a built bottom end, ported head, T67 w/TMIC as well as other supporting mods.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
my friend w/ the Blitz ECU had his stock internaled 3SGTE rev limit set at 8,000rpms, and I have also rev'd up to 8,000rpms on my SARD ECU

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I thought id make a new thread but I found this.... How high could a stock gen2 3sgte with a TD06 rev? When im near redline the car seems to want to be pushed further!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm interested as well.. 8k the upper limit of the stock bottom end? I have a gt35r going on soon, and plan to get cams, and a rmr intake before I build the bottom end.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Nateness said:
my friend w/ the Blitz ECU had his stock internaled 3SGTE rev limit set at 8,000rpms, and I have also rev'd up to 8,000rpms on my SARD ECU
Dam 8k seems like alot for a stock 3sgte that was ment to only rev to 7300.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I am interested in a solid answer to this also. Not many people can answer the straight question without talking about VE. What is a safe rpm limit for a stock bottom end regardless of VE? Pretend you will adjust VE to the rpm limit instead.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
02341360 said:
I am interested in a solid answer to this also. Not many people can answer the straight question without talking about VE. What is a safe rpm limit for a stock bottom end regardless of VE? Pretend you will adjust VE to the rpm limit instead.
I am guessing 7500, but with stock setup its worthless. To make power above 7k you would need a bigger turbo, cams and a tune.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
02341360 said:

Do you have a stock motor with the stock turbo?
Why do you want to raise your rpm limit?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Lots of people rev to 7600 on a stock valvetrain.

I was just on the dyno yesterday with a CT27, and ran to 7300 to see what kind of power was over 7k, and there's nothing there. Looks like 6900, or 7k is a perfect shift point with this turbo.

·
Registered
369 Posts
what about a greddy td06 20g, tial external wastegate, fmic, 3" full exhaust , aem ems, hks 272 cams, engle valve spings, and supporting fuel system on an 1990 alltrac at 22psi?

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've tended not to rev very high in my cars. Now that I've got the MR2, I want to rev a bit more. Any harm in going up to 6500 or so a couple times per day in 2nd and 3rd gear?

·
Registered
217 Posts
alltracst185 said:
what about a greddy td06 20g, tial external wastegate, fmic, 3" full exhaust , aem ems, hks 272 cams, engle valve spings, and supporting fuel system on an 1990 alltrac at 22psi?
from the dynos I've seen the td06 doesn't have much over 7k anyways, so I say a bit over where the power stops.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
mr2fastforu said:
Do you have a stock motor with the stock turbo?
Why do you want to raise your rpm limit?
Thats the problem getting a straight answer without going into VE. I just want to know, I wont be revving up that high.

But no I don't have a stock motor, I have a 50 trim t3/t4, 3sge cams (244, 8.5mm) and every other mod (intake, exhaust, huge intercooler etc) except still on stock ecu and fuel. I rev to 6500 frequently and find it still pulls very nicely around there. I haven't tried much higher.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts