MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

My friend just got a SAFC II for his 5sfe ceilica, even though i have not rode in it yet he says there is a big diffrence.

I am just wondering would the SAFC II benefit our 5sfes? Would it be worth to buy it? Does any one have it on their 5sfe? If so how do you like it? Whats the diffrence? Is the fuel consuption bigger?

I am going to be getting a 3sge so i know it would be worth it then. I am just debaiting iether to get it now or later. If it will benefit me i will get it now and then transfer it to my 3sge.

thanks

Ivan

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got one on mine and it did make a noticeable difference. I didn't have it on a dyno, so I can't say what gains were made. I was just using a sniffer at my school at the time. Heck, I don't even remember what A/F was being tuned to it was so long ago. I need to have it re-tuned since I've changed some mods, but I plan to do it on the dyno this time so I can get numbers.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet...do you remember if you added fuel or took it away??? Can you take a picture of the way it is programed??? on low throtle and high throtle

·
Registered
166 Posts
I took fuel away. I was comparing another guys A/F chart from when he tuned his at the time. He had almost the exact same mods, so I based mine off his numbers about 2/3 as much as his to be safe. Still wasn't the smartest thing to do, but ehh... Hasn't had any ill effects in the last two years running it that way. Stock the car totally adds more fuel than is needed. I think it even read something like a 9:1 at redline stock. The numbers I was going on were tuning to about a 14:1 if I remember correctly... i don't have the dyno image anymore, unfortunately. Do you have a 91/92 or a 93+? The throttle position sensors aren't variable until 93, so it'll perform a little different. As for my numbers:

1k - 0%
2k - +1%
3k - 0%
4k - -2%
5k - -4%
5.5k - -8%
6k - -10%
7k - -12%

Low throttle I just used half those values. Again, I'd recommend having it actually tuned on a dyno. Hopefully sometime soon I can hook up my Greddy A/F gauge and take the car to have the S-AFC tuned to the massive exhaust I'm running, so I could post results whenever I get around to that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Intake, HotWires, timing advanced to about 13, and exhaust with the stock manifold. I've had the exhaust modified since then (http://www.mr2oc.com/showpost.php?p=848172&postcount=52) to be even more free flowing and added a header. For the time being I've put my S-AFC back to flat 0 until I re-tune for it. I just happened to have the numbers sitting right beside me from before doing so.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I never really had a problem running it. If that scares you, you should've seen the original numbers I was looking at before I did anything... Something like -16% at 7k and -20% at 8k "incase he ever did something stupid like a 2-1 mis shift instead of a 2-3" or somethin like that. That was the other reason I didn't put the numbers in as agressively as his. But he did have the dynos and the A/F chart along with it...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TomsMR2 said:
an SMT6 box would be all sorts of better...

that kinda scares me.. your timing must be all over the place!
could you tell me some more about the smt6 box plz...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Most engines run slightly richer than neccessary. Most modified naturally aspirated engines are flowing far more air than the ecu is programmed to match fuel to. In this case it pretty much blindly dumps as much fuel as it can. Modifing a turbocharged engine is a little differant because the amount of air entering can radically change beyond what the maximum capabilities of fuel system. But an untuned naturally aspirated car with bolt-ons can be assumed to be running rich (unless something is wrong with it).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts