MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey whatsup. just sayin hey since im new to this forumn. i own a 88 rx7 tII and im in pheonix.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Nice to meet you.

I love the FC. It's a good car. I know a fair amount about rotaries, but then again, I'm sure you do too.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
What rebuild number are you on now?

j/k I like FCs

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
I got to drive a '90 NA the other day. It had KYBs and a couple other mods, but it was cool. Totally weird to drive... the pedals were way on the right side of the foot well, and the brakes bugged me, mostly because i'm used to my stellar MR2 brakes. It was funny how free-revving the engine is though. I didn't get a chance to push it, unfortunately. Another friend has a modified turbo... 87? haven't had the chance to drive it though. i'm learning to like RX-7s more and more these days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a heavily modified turbo rx7. the n/a's r fun if they are bridgeported with lightened flywheel and some other goodies but n/a just isnt for me.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Turboed is where you run into engines failing constantly.

If I had a Rotary it'd be NA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
umm, engines failing constantly??? ive been messing with rotaries for over 5 yrs now and i have to disagree with you there. its when ppl don't know what they are doing with tuning or building is when you have constant engine problems.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Okay, not "constantly" But if you want a motor to reliably last around 90K miles than mod a turbo rotary.

I've been around and working on rotaries for quite a few years now, and it's just a fact that on average the turbo + mods motors do not last as long.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
again i have to disagree with you. it all depends on how you drive it. how extreme your mods r and what you use the car for, and most of all tuning.

in no way am i saying that they are reliable as can be but there not as bad as you make them out to be.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Yeah, I guess.

My friend just got rid of his 1993 RX-7. 1/2 Bridge, new twins, large injectors, huge stock-mount intercooler, Apexi chip, Apexi intake, racing beat exhaust, downpipe, and a Greddy BOV. It was a monster, but inherently unreliable, and I don't think I have to tell someone like you about the gas mileage :thumbup

But it was fast as hell. He had all of the parts except for the turbo to push him into the 10 second 1/4 mile, but he sold the car.

I don't not like them, but I'm simply saying that stereotypes are usually stereotypes for a reason, and the reason Rotaries are stereotyped as engines that blow up is simply because of (mostly) the FD's and their unreliability.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
totally when it comes to fd's. stock fd motors will not usually(key word usually) last you more than 70k miles. lol and gas mileage being ______, i know alll about that. on my street map i can usually get a max of like 16mpg on the free way if i keep out of boost, which i never do=). but all in all i love rotaries and will probablly keep racing em for a long time.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had a 90 white GXL, car had 78K when I bought it. 169K when I sold it two years later, still on original engine and runs the same as the day I bought it. Car in a way drove nicer than the MR2, in a way it was worse. The pedal positioning on hte MR2 had got to be the worst!!!!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
-If I didn't find my 93 turbo when I did, I'd probably be driving around an fc right now. Nice cars and welcome :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
when i was afraid my deal for the 20V was going south, i nearly bought a GTUs. maybe my next car? they're pretty rare tho, and i would get flak for modifying it.
-Enzo
got pics of ur FC? :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts