MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Some of you may remember this. A few months back I was working on a wide body kit for my MK1, I had a topic up here along with some pics and stuff.

I kept pulling the car apart and I kept finding more rust. I'm now parting the car out ( made back more than i paid for it so far :thumbup ).

Anyway.. I had a guy come over the other day to give me some money and have a look at some parts, and he asked me why i abandoned the project. I started telling him about the rust and bitching about how they rust from the inside out.

I picked up a hammer and decided to wack the left rear side of the car :eek: .. i dont know why....... i just did.

PICS

The car has been in a roll over, the entire left side of the car is covered in a 1/2" - 1" thick layer of body filler! The funny thing is that they did a REALLY good job of it- and it was done a LONG time ago. The guy that was with me was like " OMGOD ive never seen anything like this!"

hehe.

Wow, I hadnt posted in here for ages.

-nathan.

·
Registered
542 Posts
holy crap, with that much filler I'm suprised the car didn't look slightly bloated.

Good thing you knew when it call it quits, and part her out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car didnt look bloated at all. They did a VERY good job. The entire side of teh car was all pushed in- and filled back up with bog.

There is fresh sheet metal under MOST of the filler- which is why it didnt fall off the body. Its actually stuck to the steel pretty well. I just happened to hit the bit that had rusted out behind- it all just fell away. I wondered why there were a few small dents on the left side of the roof. haha.

I think i will go over the entire car and collect all the bog in a big heap, just for bragging rights :) haha.

ALOT of the body of this car is being held togeter by the paint. ( im not kidding). Ive been round it with a hammer and found dozzens of rusty holes that were just under the surface. Most of the steel on this car is like paper.

I paid $600 for the car.
Took me two weeks to blow the headgasket.
I sold the engine for $300, the wheels for $200, numerous plastic trim pieces etc about $200.

I couldnt be more happy.

-nathan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wow...

I paid $600 for my '85, too...

Reading your story, I got worried...

...so *I* took my hammer outside to check for bondo! I'm glad to report that I don't have any...but I'm not real sure how I'm going to fix my new bodywork, besides sticking a "Custom By McHammer" sticker on the car someplace. :)

:kidding:

That's the only real piece of bodywork it needs, and magnets *do* stick to the rest of the body all over.

Amazing story. Glad to hear that *THAT* particular two is gone to the great junkyard in the sky.

·
Registered
991 Posts
That is a whole lot of bondo!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
jonathonbarton said:
Wow...

I paid $600 for my '85, too...

Reading your story, I got worried...

...so *I* took my hammer outside to check for bondo! I'm glad to report that I don't have any...but I'm not real sure how I'm going to fix my new bodywork, besides sticking a "Custom By McHammer" sticker on the car someplace. :)

:kidding:

That's the only real piece of bodywork it needs, and magnets *do* stick to the rest of the body all over.

Amazing story. Glad to hear that *THAT* particular two is gone to the great junkyard in the sky.
Thats a pretty easy fix. Just buy a new quarter panel and have it installed. I would say buy a used one from someone on the board, but your damage looks like it might extend past the wheel well.
~C.C.~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts