Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Just drain the coolant and drive it carefully

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm prepping my 91T to go to the body shop to have some front end damage repaired. I am replacing the radiator supports including the "firewall" behind the radiator. To save money, the shop advised me to remove the somehow undamaged radiator and AC condenser, along with ABS and pull the wiring harnesses back. The guy says he wants to run the engine for just long enough to move the car around the shop. I'm thinking that's iffy, but he seems to have a good reputation and has clearly been in the business for a long time. Wondering if maybe I should just put in a temporary bypass hose so at least the temperature gauge will work and there will be a little more thermal mass to work with. Seems to me that just getting it on the trailer is going to take a few minutes of run time. Any thoughts on the best way to do this?

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
483 Posts
When the engine first starts, the thermostat is closed and so the coolant just recirculates within the engine and nearby tubes. Once warm enough, THEN thermostat opens and begins to flow to the radiator. So for very short bouts of operation (no more than a few min at low rpms) it should be ok. What I would do, is grab some pipe and create a by-pass hose so you can keep coolant in it. Then if they just happen to run long enough to open thermostat, there is still coolant, and some to circulate. It'd be an extra buffer of safety (if it were me.)

Also the heater core, open with fan blowing can help cool, even without the main radiator...it's not going to get the volume that would go to the front rad, but it's still a little something that can help in a pinch.

Reactions: xxxboosted2xxx

·
Administrator
91t gen5
7,293 Posts
People test junkyard engines without coolant in them so I would imagine what the shop guy wants to do would be okay. I wouldn't be so excited about it being done to my engine though.

·
Premium Member
13,697 Posts
Test, yes. For a few seconds, maybe a minute. I wouldn't recommend driving or planning to USE the engine in any way without coolant in it though. A bypass hose and full of coolant would be one thing, at least then coolant can circulate in the motor as it warms up, and through the bypass hose once the thermostat opens. But I wouldn't be comfortable with the body shop guy driving it around the shop with no coolant at all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I realized I was being overly paranoid about this. I did end up installing a bypass hose under he car between the two pipes just before they go up into the frunk, and then I filled it with coolant. In hindsight the main advantage of putting bypass hose on is to avoid coolant spills in case the thermostat happens to open while moving it. That said, some extra coolant and the ability to circulate doesn't hurt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts