MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a big negative for that? It would make maintenance quite easier...

I'm asking that because I see alot of supra or honda civics with alot of dollar in the engine and often there is no cover...is that just for showing of their sweer cam gears?

Oh and is the 3sgte interference?

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
Seth W said:
the reason why you see civic owners doing that is because their retards same thing with supra owners.
yup.

how often are you changing timing belts anyways that you need to quicken the maintenece?

leave it on there. its there for a good reason.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
yea, i beleive its better, they usually leave it off to show off their hks cam gears that are set to stock zero =X haha

it should help from debris and whut not from getting into the pullies and stuff

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TomsMR2 said:
yup.

how often are you changing timing belts anyways that you need to quicken the maintenece?

leave it on there. its there for a good reason.
well judging from my experience with a 5S-FE, it would have save me some time..lol, I think I changed everything that was under there...

oh well, I was just wondering..I mean alternator belts and powersteering belts are usually out in the open, but camshaft gears are more precious no? haha :p

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I left mine off when I installed my ADJ gears....There was 200 different combinations to have the gears set too and I was always fooling around with them. Finally got like 3 or 4 settings and then tried those settings on the dyno.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think it would look nice and be access-effiecient if you just had holes trimmed the size of your cam gears on the cam cover. I was looking for a picture, but I hope you know what I mean, it's still protected from debris.

·
Registered
43 Posts
taking the timing belt cover off isnt a good idea simply because if anything pops into the gears it can throw off your timing...wouldnt want to have to redo it everyweek.
and a plexi glass cover would be nice...im in the process of trying to make a plexi glass valve cover for my Mk2 but i dont know if it would be alright considering the stock one is metal.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I haven't had a top timing belt cover on since I got the car...around three years ago. If I get ahold of one I would rather have it installed than not have it installed...

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm guessing since the engine bay for a turbo MR2 has the holes or air slits on the engine hood i see what water gets through them pretty easily, and the cover obviously protects it from such things. That and the cover is doing it's job, covering the belt from dirt and debris like previous owners have said.

And no the 3S-gte is a non-interference engine meaning when the belt snaps, it won't keel the car over.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
why justify not having one? besides you only need to change it every 60k or so... you only have a 5sfe whats their to show off?

·
Ontario's first MK1.5,'05
5,126 Posts
leave the cover on. We all know that our engine bay's get dusty very quickly, dust, dirt, water will get in there. If you get the t-belt oily when working in the engine bay, it will hurt it down the line.

I never understood why people take such a chance with the belt exposted like that. I see this on AE86's too....

Martin

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seth W said:
why justify not having one? besides you only need to change it every 60k or so... you only have a 5sfe whats their to show off?
Well the 5s-fe in my celica I had to changed the timing belt, then idler pulley, then a couple months later the oil pump gasket, and before that it was the water pump...Those are old engines it can save time to not have a cover. It was a legetimate question. I'm not here to show off my 5s-fe :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
thats why you do it all at once it save you the headache, just giving you crap:). I had my 5s for almost 4 years until I put the 6 in it, much love.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts