MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorta new to mR2 world, not new to cars.

Question: How does an MR-2 spool a t-67 turbo? Better yet a T-78?

Massive porting? Nitrous what?

Also, I saw the list of the turbo kits, with all th HP numbers....what boost levels are they running!? Its easy to run 350 hp with a turbo kit if you run 25 psi!

·
Dorko SuperMod
4,750 Posts
bubbagumping said:
Oh, it will spool it, but unless you have just about every other support mod don't expect to get any boost before the end of the tach.
oh give me a break. i have NEVER heard of anyone not making power before 7250..

most of the big turbo's tend to reach full boost from 4500-5000, depending on mods and such..

T67 is NOT a big turbo...

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Fully tuned and stroked to a 2.2L, Aaron Bunch has got his T-67 to spool well around 3500-3800. On a 2.0L, that would closer to 4,000+ before you got any good spool and without tuning could be in the 4500rpm range on a fairly stock engine.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
what is full boost?????

I think what confuses people is when they read or hear someone say full boost by this rpm.

This is not what they should be saying. Full boost for me is 16psi not 25-30psi my turbo will make.

So yes I can hit 16psi by 5000rpms and hold it to 7000rpms with my 50 trim. That doesnt mean my turbo's full boost is around 16psi. My engine is stock btw with 200k miles.

Someone else with a ported head, cams, intake manifold, bigger valves might make 16 psi by 4000 rpms and hold that to 7000rpms.

It depends on how your engine breathes, no matter how much turbo you have you can only swallow and fart out so much air/gas.

If your mouth is big and your butt is small it will take longer for you to get out what you need to. I hope this makes some sense
:smile:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know what kinda boost those numbers are from the sticky in this forum...about turbo kits. Cuz its hard to decide on turbo if one was dynod @ 13psi while the other one was dynod at 19psi....?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
my T78 would hit at 5g and would have no lag in a drag race 2.0 not 2.2 the thing was a beast spin sideways 15psi at 100 in 4th on the freeway on the 24in slicks scary fast when boost would hit it would sink you in the seat and you could feel it in your chest lol.....I gave 2 of my homies who owned 12sec gsr t3/t4 turbo hbs they would ____ their pants and be like god dayum

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Yes, I see what you are saying so people should clarify what boost level they are talking about achieving. However, when big turbo's do eventually spool, they spool very quickly. I get like 5psi at 3800rpms and then by 4300 I get to 14psi. I bet by 5,000rpm's I could get 25psi.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
mr2fas4u said:
my T78 would hit at 5g and would have no lag in a drag race 2.0 not 2.2 the thing was a beast spin sideways 15psi at 100 in 4th on the freeway on the 24in slicks scary fast when boost would hit it would sink you in the seat and you could feel it in your chest lol.....I gave 2 of my homies who owned 12sec gsr t3/t4 turbo hbs they would ____ their pants and be like god dayum
haha, your comma and period buttons must be broken because that almost didn't make sense. :)

manning said:
T67 is NOT a big turbo...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's as big as the exhaust manfiold for god sake.

Not to mention....look at this side veiw. I call that big :)

·
Forged By Flame
999 Posts
mr2fas4u said:
FYI: This is the fastest MR2 I've been in. This car ran a [email protected] w/ a slipping clutch on 225/40-18 Kumho Supras. After replacing the clutch w/ an RPS 6-puck. The car ran a [email protected] (no traction). Oh yah, and he also pulled a low 11sec car as if it were standing still :evillaugh (using DR of course).

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
T67 is a big turbo for the 2.0

when you throw in some hks 264 ...272 ... cams it will run much smoother , if you than still have enough money left , go buy a ChrisK stroker. than it will act like a td06 on a stock mr2. ....like they say '' streetable ''

nitrous for a t67 , is in my opinion a bit overdone , if you are really up to use it , than go buy a t78 right away , download chemvolts movy , and C how a T78 spools with a 100shot of nitrous. its ... AWESOME .... but not for daily driving i supose ;)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Sonic said:
FYI: This is the fastest MR2 I've been in. This car ran a [email protected] w/ a slipping clutch on 225/40-18 Kumho Supras. After replacing the clutch w/ an RPS 6-puck. The car ran a [email protected] (no traction). Oh yah, and he also pulled a low 11sec car as if it were standing still :evillaugh (using DR of course).

the same night I ran him he took his mustang to the track and ran a [email protected] he was blown and fullly built, I took him for $200 I ended up beating him by 4 cars and pulling mad....good thing I had the boost up to 17psi or it would of been close...his car is the only car I have ran that actually took me off the line by 1 whole car well he did have some huge bfgs and sprayed his tires and side of the road with VHT. It happened like 1st gear hes gone by a car Im spinning on the 24's....shifted into second then sling shotted away from him then pulled him like a freight train. im sure I could of ran maybe a [email protected] or so on the slicks but never got a chance due to that dayum hg

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
Marcel, glad to see you posting on the board again. Whats the latest on the hardtop project.

like it has already been pointed out. Dont go with a huge turbo unless you are prepared to buy all the suporting mods. You WILL break stuff if you put a large turbo on a Stock motor, ecu, fuel system, intercooler. MOre people need to get over the LAG fact. IF it starts spooling by 5k that should be fine. I mean when you get on it, Do you NOT take it to redline. I do , everytime I shift I fall back into the powerband. Lag is only present in 1st gear. + it also feels really cool when a LARGE turbo hits. Totally different feeling then like a 20g.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
5k spool is way too high in my opinion. I was looking for 4k....My friend with FWD TT 3000gt spools by 2200 or soemthing stupid like that...and when it begins spooling it goes from 0-full boost in half a second...based on his logs

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Sleeper, that isnt really comparing apples to apples. The 3000GT has two small turbos. Small turbos spool quick. They also have a V-6 with large displacement compared to ours. You can make more power with a V-6 and two small turbos than you can on a 4 cylinder with 1 small turbo. It just isnt comparable as far as spool up goes. Also, when someone is ready to run a large turbo they should be able to rev it to 8,000rpms+. As RickyB said, if you are just wanting stock redline, stock fuel, etc... then there is no point in having a huge turbo. 5K rpm would be way too high to get full boost. If you ever want huge numbers, then physics of turbos tell you that you will have to deal with lag.

·
Registered
20,020 Posts
mr2fas4u said:
you have a built or stock engine -- what other supporting mods for the t-78?

i have a t-67 on my stock MR2 and it spools up to 18psi in the @4200-4500rpm range -- IMO is a bit "laggy" for a stock engine with stock rev limit -- a TD06 would perform similarly with better spool....... am going to toss a t-78 on it here soon and see what kind of differences i feel ;) should be fun......

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
93smgturbo said:
Sleeper, that isnt really comparing apples to apples. The 3000GT has two small turbos. Small turbos spool quick. They also have a V-6 with large displacement compared to ours. You can make more power with a V-6 and two small turbos than you can on a 4 cylinder with 1 small turbo. It just isnt comparable as far as spool up goes. Also, when someone is ready to run a large turbo they should be able to rev it to 8,000rpms+. As RickyB said, if you are just wanting stock redline, stock fuel, etc... then there is no point in having a huge turbo. 5K rpm would be way too high to get full boost. If you ever want huge numbers, then physics of turbos tell you that you will have to deal with lag.

I was just trying to emphasize that I think 5k spool isn't fast enough for stock limit. For the moment I'm only looking to get about 320 wheel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts