MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '87, 5-speed MR2 turns 4100 RPM cruising at 70 MPH. This seems high. Just wondering what in the norm. My tires are 205-40 16s which I think is slightly undersized. My GPS indicates that my speedo reads 4 MPH high at highway speeds. Anyone?

Jay

·
I hurt myself daily
3,371 Posts
RPM's

Sounds about right to me. About 3K at 55. I hit 4K at about 75. The TVIS opens a little over 80 (on a closed road course, this should never be attempted on public roads. Lawyers bad.). I have 195/50-15's so the real speed is probably a bit less. On the good side, you don't have to downshift to hit the sweet spot of the torque curve. Not great for the mileage.

·
Registered
284 Posts
that seems right. i seem to recall 120km/h at 4000rpm or something like that.

one of the things that bugged me most in my old NA was high cruising rpm's. much better with the SC now and e51

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think thats about what mine does as well. It does seem to bug me a bit to keep looking down at that, especially when I drive on the highway for over an hour going to my college and back. But like dwebb stated, they don't redline until 7500. It's hard for me to get used to though after not ever driving a car like that before.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A couple of weeks ago, I drove danielcp's '89 SC and I noticed that at 70 the RPM was quite a bit lower than my NA. Apparently, the SC gearing is different than the NA. Mine does have good throttle response at that speed. Thanks for the feedback. It looks like mine is running where it should be.

Jay

·
Duck Tape Level
1,331 Posts
Mine says 70 mph at about 3800. 80 mph is 4200, just before TVIS range.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I run 205/40 16" on my NA as well, and I get similar RPM's. About 3700 for 70 MPH, and 4200 for 80MPH.

Of, course after my last ticket, I lean more to the 70 MPH, even in SoCal, where people pass you on both sides honking for driving that ridiculously slow on the freeway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I won't have to listen to my NA's high revving cruise any longer. I sold it this weekend and bought danielcp's SC. Wooo Hooo! Now I can listen for that supercharger sound.

Jay

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
yup..75 is right about 4000 or so. i hate it too..forgot that recently untill i took my 88 on its first highway voyage.. Aaauuugh...

we'll have to see what my s/c does. could be one more thing to like about it.
however, 4k is still just off the valve timing, so i can either floor it and wait for it to kick in and be ready to pass, or just downshift, which puts me right about 46-4700 and then i'm ready to pull down the highway. overall, not too shabby. just higher than i like. my turbo is closer to 3500 or so at that speed, and my subaru is ever lower, which is suprising given its low gearing.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
neko said:
. . . however, 4k is still just off the valve timing, so i can either floor it and wait for it to kick in and be ready to pass, or just downshift. . .
That's the nice thing about S/C as opposed to turbo. No waiting . . .. The S/C doesn't act like that - it just feels like a larger N/A motor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
azmr2 said:
Anyone have these numbers for an SC? I think mine (memory) is 2500 at 75 in 4th gear. Which is another reason why I think my tach is off.
2500 RPM at 75 MPH in 4th GEAR?! That definately does not sound right. What RPM does it read in 5th gear?

·
Registered
284 Posts
i seem to remember 120km/h in my SC as 3500 or so in 5th, cant remember exactly as she's been garaged for a few months. 2500 in 4th is about what i use for city driving, roughly 60km/h

so i would say you are definitely off, either tach or speedo.

·
Registered
161 Posts
in 5th 3800ish
in 4th 4100ish

1 - 20 of 51 Posts