MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I'm driving, I get a nasty burning/roasting smell from the rear driverside wheel.

I think my e-brake is frozen or something's up.

I just wanna ask what could be possible issues before taking it to a shop for an inspection.

And in 4th gear, man, feels like the car isn't going anywhere. :(

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
could be a seazed caliper altogether. My friend was low on brake fluid and this happened to him but only once.... But it IS VERY possible your ebrake is frozem, jack up the back and put the ebrake on and off and when its down see if you can spin either wheel. If not then you will need to replace either cable. Alss the same method applies with brakes. Lift up te back of the car and hit the brakes, after you take your foot off the pedal see if you can spin either wheel. If not then a caliper rebuild is in order.....

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
deshi, i think a caliper rebuild is an exaggeration. when a car has been sitting for a while it is pretty common for the brakes to seize. i have dealt with this several times. all i've done is pop the piston out, sand the cylinder walls with very very fine sandpaper if necessary, wipe up the dust, and either screw or press the pistons back in (depending on front or rear), and bleed the system of course. also, for the e-brake i wouldn't asssume that the cables need to be replaced. it could just need some wd40 or liquid wrench in the caliper part.

you might want to get the rotor resurfaced if it has been grinding for a while; it probably has a few gouges in it.

-travis

·
Registered
333 Posts
its also possible for the slide to get stuck. just pull the caliper off and re lube it. but before you do anything listed here you should jack up the car and se which corner is giving you problems. then pop the e brake pin if its and ebraked rim and see if that helps. if that doesn't help try what i said, lubing te slides on the bracket. then try what travis said. and then finally if all else fails ignore deshi...well maybe not his advise seems reasonable for once.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Or maybe the neighbor's cat got tangled up in the alternator belt?? :eek:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
geckospecaw11 said:
its also possible for the slide to get stuck. just pull the caliper off and re lube it. but before you do anything listed here you should jack up the car and se which corner is giving you problems. then pop the e brake pin if its and ebraked rim and see if that helps. if that doesn't help try what i said, lubing te slides on the bracket. then try what travis said. and then finally if all else fails ignore deshi...well maybe not his advise seems reasonable for once.

yes it was the slide! i fixed it. thanks! :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
i dont believe its the caliper slide pin that seizes during cold weather, but the actual arm and cable that pivots when you use the ebrake itself. Dont use the ebrake when parking.
Just leave it in 1st. Unless you park on a steep hill.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
The cable gets water inside the sheath, and it freezes.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^
If that is the case (and most likely it is) how would I go about fixing that?

The weather is pretty chilly in Vancouver right now. I wake up only to see frost on the lawn and my sidewalk. :(

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
bcrdukes said:
^
If that is the case (and most likely it is) how would I go about fixing that?

The weather is pretty chilly in Vancouver right now. I wake up only to see frost on the lawn and my sidewalk. :(

You'll have to buy a new cable. There is a little rubber boot around the end where the cable comes out of the sheath to attach to the caliper. When that's torn there's not much you can do.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
$80~ for a new cable from Toyota, dont buy anything other than OEM though.. the rest are all crap

Right Russ? ;)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so I've been parking in 1st gear w/o the e-brake. So far so good.
I'll have to get under the car this weekend to see how the e-brake is.

As for immorality, I'm gonna have to wait for a while until I can get those motormounts. :p

·
Registered
284 Posts
forget about the ebrake. its only a couple of weeks every year when its cold enough to freeze up, not a big deal at all. and the boots on new cables are prone to breaking anyways.

·
Duck Tape Level
1,331 Posts
Mine's been freezing for 2 winters now. I have more important things to fix/upgrade so I just park in 1st gear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts