MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
"According to Google Jan 18, 2023.
How much did a Porsche 911 cost in 1970?
approximately $8,600"
I remember seeing a 911 for 7k+ new (carbureted) at VW dealer in CA. 912 slightly less. Thought this was
very expensive.
Bought my MR2T, for 2k less in 91 from authorized dealer. Am original owner. May acquire 911 air cooled
wonder yet! Have the RT issue pictured. It was better then!

· Registered
373 Posts
Note the FD RX-7 had the best performance score, just a tad higher than the MKIV Supra.
If only they were more reliable.
Incredible machines. Smoothest transmission I may have ever shifted. They are like S2000s, the fun starts at 5k

Its a shame not many survived the engine failures and were scrapped. Good for the value of the cars now, but a shame to have lost the chassis then :(

· Registered
1989 AW11SC
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I had a buddy that owned a FD RX7 and I drove it several times. He had all the latest PFR (Pete Farrel Racing) mods installed. It was seriously FAST but was an unreliable POS for a Japanese car. He eventually became frustrated with all the recurring breakdowns and sold it.

A 300 ZX Turbo back then was $48K CDN. I almost bought one. It was the first production car that was entirely designed on a Cray supercomputer.

The RX7 and the 300 ZX would eat an SW20 for breakfast, but they were also much more expensive.

Last spring I took my SC out of storage. After changing all the fluids and installing a new overpriced Toyota battery it ran absolutely perfect...... 😎

Minty AW11SC

· Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,989 Posts
The second brochure is the early 91 version we got in the states, date 02/90. The late version in the states, dated 09/90, included a black turbo on the cover. The major difference was the addition of the Signal Yellow color option, which wasn't available when the MK2 first debuted.

· Registered
1989 AW11SC
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The SW20 was available in yellow when it was first introduced here in Canada in late fall of 1990. The first one I ever saw in person was yellow. There was an overabundance of yellow one's here for some reason.

I always thought it was an ugly color, IMHO.

Minty AW11SC

Minty AW11SC

· Administrator
5,947 Posts
I actually think that owners not appreciating the wingless look is quite common. I think they're the majority. Some absolutely despise it and would rather drive a scooter or take a bus than own such a deuce.

I like it winged or wingless. I even bought a second wingless trunk when I get bored w/ the wing. I'm due to swap it in.

Car Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle Wheel

21 - 37 of 37 Posts