1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on picking up a set of kosei K1's off tire rack in sizes:

F- 16x7.5 ET32
R- 16x8.5 ET37

What's the right size tires for these rims? Can I run 225's up front and 255's in the rear?

I was thinking 225/45/16 and 255/45/16. . .

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
225/45/16 will rub in the front.

BTW, try the Wheel/Tire forum.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I've got 245/45/16 on rears and 215/40/16 up front on those rims. The tires are Kuhmo ECSTA Supra. I will probably go 255 in the rear next time and go with a higher 45 instead of 40 series. Probably still stick with 215 up front.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DougyD19 said:
I've got 245/45/16 on rears and 215/40/16 up front on those rims. The tires are Kuhmo ECSTA Supra. I will probably go 255 in the rear next time and go with a higher 45 instead of 40 series. Probably still stick with 215 up front.
Why do most people use 40 series up front? Fit better I'm assuming?

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
trahsub said:
Planning on picking up a set of kosei K1's off tire rack in sizes:

F- 16x7.5 ET32
R- 16x8.5 ET37

What's the right size tires for these rims? Can I run 225's up front and 255's in the rear?

I was thinking 225/45/16 and 255/45/16. . .
If you're picking up a new set, I would go with 15X7 up front and 16X8.5 for the rear. I hated how the 16X7.5 with 205/45/16 stuck out on my car. I guess if you slam your car low enough .. and don't care about crazy front camber, it can stick inside the fender a bit.

Su

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I don't think they make a 255 tire with a low enough profile in 16".

Will 215/45/16 rub with the 16x7.5" rim?

Also Supra Ecsta 712's are crap (sorry Doug). There are definatly better tires out there for the same price.

-Scott

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
I'll be running a 265/45/16 on the back of Hyde on my Koesi rims.
The fronts are going to be 2225/45/16s ... and yes, I wanted the taller tire :)

I ordered the Khumo V700s.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
first4age said:
If you're picking up a new set, I would go with 15X7 up front and 16X8.5 for the rear. I hated how the 16X7.5 with 205/45/16 stuck out on my car. I guess if you slam your car low enough .. and don't care about crazy front camber, it can stick inside the fender a bit.

Su
Interesting, I'd like to see some pictures of 16x7.5's on the front of 2's. I'm going to post this in the W/T forum.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
sab0276 said:
Also Supra Ecsta 712's are crap (sorry Doug). There are definatly better tires out there for the same price. -Scott
I agree, but I bought these when Kumho's they were just getting on the scene and it was the only tires at the time that offered good grip with a cheap price...a lot has changed in almost 3 years since I purchased them because of the tuner craze....now you are wondering why I have had them for so long...that takes too much to write. The 215 fronts and 245 in back still left the back end coming out slowly after that long stretch during SE2002 at the Talledega Gran Prix Raceway which I liked (predictable slippage). The MR2 at the time didn't have suspension, but I think a 255 (if they have them) or 265 Supra Ecstra might have met up with the 215's traction to break away at the same time on long turns.

Jeff - do you know of anyone who has tried 225/45/16s Khumo V700s up front yet...it might not work. My 215/40/16s slighty rub the inside the fender on the plastic if I turn the wheel all the way...it rarely happens...but sometimes it does when I am turning sharply to park. I also had 225/40/17's with H&R lowering springs up front and they rubbed so much on the front plastic, that I took the plastic liner out -- bad idea to do...dirt gets into places it is not supposed to be.

Some things to take into consideration....All tires are not the same. If you look on each website, you will see dimensions of the tire and when you compare them to other brands, you will see the differences I'm talking about. Some 45's are higher off the rim than others and some 225's sit out farther off the rim than others --- It is wierd, but true. Also, a wider rim can make an under sized tire shorter by flattening it out as where an oversized tire on a rim can make it sit higher off the rim.

Note - don't use a power washer on the Kosei rims, it will take the stickers off :(

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
DougyD19 said:
The 215 fronts and 245 in back still left the back end coming out slowly after that long stretch during SE2002 at the Talledega Gran Prix Raceway which I liked (predictable slippage). The MR2 at the time didn't have suspension, but I think a 255 (if they have them) or 265 Supra Ecstra might have met up with the 215's traction to break away at the same time on long turns.
Just keep your eye on each sizes overall diameter. You may want wider for more rear grip but can really throw off your torque and acceleration with a taller tire that changes your effective gear ratios. Also, wide tires heat up more slowly than narrow tires and tire heat affects grip if you're tracking the car. A stiffer front sway bar will help to keep the rear in line also.

Bruce

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
DougyD19 said:
Jeff - do you know of anyone who has tried 225/45/16s Khumo V700s up front yet...it might not work.
I have had a 225/45/16 upfront before, but not this exact tire.
I guess we'll see when they get here :D

DougyD19 said:
Note - don't use a power washer on the Kosei rims, it will take the stickers off
Thanks for the tip! ... I'll have to try that ;) (I rather not have the stickers)

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
DougyD19 said:
Jeff - do you know of anyone who has tried 225/45/16s Khumo V700s up front yet
We test fitted on Kappa's MR2 this weekend.
He has H&R springs (just like J&H do) and there was NO problems.
The tires/wheel rolled lock to lock with no rubbing anywhere.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
We only rolled the car forward and backward at both full locks so there was no major compression going on. I guess I'll have to wait to test that on Hyde, but there seemed to be plenty of room.

We'll see.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JekylandHyde said:
We only rolled the car forward and backward at both full locks so there was no major compression going on. I guess I'll have to wait to test that on Hyde, but there seemed to be plenty of room.

We'll see.
How'd this post get in here? I could have sworn I made this in T/W?? Good stuff in here though, hehe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts