MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Review: China Fog lights for $60

3K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  xxxboosted2xxx 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
I believe MR2 Heaven has or will soon have available reproduction fog light brackets.

Cheap knock-offs made in China may not be ideal, but its better than having no options at all.
Everyone is hoping Toyota will put MK2 parts like this and the "kouki" taillights back into production like they're doing for some MK3/MK4 Supra parts.

#4 ·
If the lights are only secured by "hanging" them from the two top screws, then long-term the housing plastic may develop cracks. The brackets provide a stabilizing 3rd mounting point. Do the reproduction fogs even have the pin on the back of the housing to locate into the bracket?

#9 ·
That is a good deal, especially since we're all screwed for OEM replacements. But be careful, those vendors monitor these forums and up the prices immediately as soon as there's activity. I bought 3 pairs when they were cheap some years back and I've already gone through 2 sets in about 5 years. My car's a daily.

The glass is very thin compared to OEM and rock chips break them. Since I've mounted the OEM units a couple years ago, no issues.

#15 ·
The stock bulbs are only 35w, IIRC. You could try a higher lumen output LED type H3 if it would fit. I wouldn't run an actual halogen H3 bulb over 55w in the stock housings. Remember these are fog lights with a wide pattern and sharp cut-off that doesn't project down the road very far (not even as far as your low beams).

#17 ·
^ Don't hold your breath. Ain't gonna happen.

Supra guys aren't afraid to spend money on OEM parts - they're a different breed entirely. They'll spend $450 on a seat belt and think nothing of it. Just like Porsche owners with their OEM 1960s & 70s parts that Porsche makes new even today. They do that because Porsche & Supra owners will cough up the coinage no hesitation, no probs.

On the other (broke) hand, the vast majority of MR2 peeps flinch at new OEM prices and go immediately to used or crappy knock-offs. There's no incentive for Toyota to make them if there's no economic will behind the initiative. It's always been like that and always will be. Manufacturers aren't stupid, they know exactly who pays & who doesn't - the parts sales figures are right there in front of them.

I always like to hope I'm wrong on this - but I ain't, you can bet on it.

#20 ·
It's always been like that and always will be. Manufacturers aren't stupid, they know exactly who pays & who doesn't - the parts sales figures are right there in front of them.

I always like to hope I'm wrong on this - but I ain't, you can bet on it.
I agree this has been the case, but the MR2 market is definitely not what it was five years ago. Better MR2s are now selling for money that is pricing out a lot of 'enthusiasts' (younger, not much cash) in favor of 'collectors' (older, disposable income looking for toys and with an eye on resale value). The trend among top-condition cars on Bring A Trailer and the cars Bob Pham refurbishes and sells is very clear: you can't get a good MR2 for pocket change anymore. The resale-value types will spend just like the Supra crowd spends to keep the resale value high. I doubt Toyota will start making OEM parts again, but I'm guessing it'll be enough for the MR2 Heaven guys to keep expanding their catalog of replacement parts.

Back on topic - I'd be surprised if fog lights 'not really working' has much to do with their light output. The concept just isn't that sound. The idea is the lights shine under the fog, but a) advection fog forms on the road, and b) even when it doesn't, and supposing the light shines under it, your eyes aren't under it. You're still looking through fog. But they don't have to work! They look cool!

#22 ·
^ Those are interesting.

..Don't need to start shitting on MR2 owners.
I'm not crapping on anyone, I apologize for stinking up your thread (though I didn't start that tangent, I merely participated). But I won't apologize for stating the truth and I won't gloss it over. That's the way it is. Anyone who's been part of this community for 10 minutes knows that.

While I do agree that things have changed in the last 5 years, owners peeling out money for OEM stuff hasn't changed much at all. Yes, there are plenty of owners buying stuff, but that 'plenty' is a pittance to start new OEM production. It won't happen. There's no negativity in laying out just how it is. Consider a friendly warning.

I would love to be proven wrong and eat my words, just don't see it though.

#24 ·
Relax, you're stretching this out and posting things I didn't post. I never stated all MR2 owners are poor, and I'm definitely not friends of Supra owners (I stopped going to local MR2 meets partially because I was tired of all the Supra talk).

And you're completely wrong about the OEM lights not being better than these Chinese cheapies. OEM fogs are heaps better, you need to experience them before you post guesses like that.

#25 · (Edited)
You should relax instead of insulting everyone less fortunate than you. You are the supreme authority on MR2 parts, we have a f**king lighting engineer on our hands. "Heaps better..." yes, no sh*t Sherlock of course OEM is better than China replicas. First, that's the f**king point we can't get our hands on the OEM ones. Second, you really are able to measure a $400-$800 difference in lighting quality? What a f**king douche.

Back to the point of the original point. An alternative to OEM is available for $60. And quality seems fair. Buy it or not. Don't need to be a douche like RePete. Not everyone have years of experience handling OEM fogs vs replicas.

#26 ·
Poor guy's going to lose a gasket. Just calm the hell down.

Juvenile name calling is desperate and ain't necessary on this board, and coming from you means nothing to me. You've missed the point here (about no chance of new OEM production) and it's you now who's stinking up your own thread relentlessly rampaging through it. A pity.

Newsflash (again): I bought 3 pairs of these Chinese cheapies long before you even knew about them (except I got them somewhere around $45/pair). I would call them adequate for short term and not built for a daily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.