MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,456 Posts
I believe MR2 Heaven has or will soon have available reproduction fog light brackets.

Cheap knock-offs made in China may not be ideal, but its better than having no options at all.
Everyone is hoping Toyota will put MK2 parts like this and the "kouki" taillights back into production like they're doing for some MK3/MK4 Supra parts.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,456 Posts
If the lights are only secured by "hanging" them from the two top screws, then long-term the housing plastic may develop cracks. The brackets provide a stabilizing 3rd mounting point. Do the reproduction fogs even have the pin on the back of the housing to locate into the bracket?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If the lights are only secured by "hanging" them from the two top screws, then long-term the housing plastic may develop cracks. The brackets provide a stabilizing 3rd mounting point. Do the reproduction fogs even have the pin on the back of the housing to locate into the bracket?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've ran ebay fogs without a bracket for years, never had an issue with the plastic cracking or anything. Granted I am sure its better to have brackets but that's my experience

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts
That is a good deal, especially since we're all screwed for OEM replacements. But be careful, those vendors monitor these forums and up the prices immediately as soon as there's activity. I bought 3 pairs when they were cheap some years back and I've already gone through 2 sets in about 5 years. My car's a daily.

The glass is very thin compared to OEM and rock chips break them. Since I've mounted the OEM units a couple years ago, no issues.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
What if you put some clear (or yellow) headlight protection film on them? I have a set of yellow uninstalled from rockblocker or someone from years ago, might help with longevity of the glass or plastic

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The OEM fogs aren't that great, TBH.. I have been toying with the idea of installing something that actually works on foggy days, but I have no idea what to buy..

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,456 Posts
The stock bulbs are only 35w, IIRC. You could try a higher lumen output LED type H3 if it would fit. I wouldn't run an actual halogen H3 bulb over 55w in the stock housings. Remember these are fog lights with a wide pattern and sharp cut-off that doesn't project down the road very far (not even as far as your low beams).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I believe MR2 Heaven has or will soon have available reproduction fog light brackets.

Cheap knock-offs made in China may not be ideal, but its better than having no options at all.
Everyone is hoping Toyota will put MK2 parts like this and the "kouki" taillights back into production like they're doing for some MK3/MK4 Supra parts.
Whoa seriously? They’re reproducing Supra stuff? That should definitely mean we’ll be getting some reproduction parts at least

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts
^ Don't hold your breath. Ain't gonna happen.

Supra guys aren't afraid to spend money on OEM parts - they're a different breed entirely. They'll spend $450 on a seat belt and think nothing of it. Just like Porsche owners with their OEM 1960s & 70s parts that Porsche makes new even today. They do that because Porsche & Supra owners will cough up the coinage no hesitation, no probs.

On the other (broke) hand, the vast majority of MR2 peeps flinch at new OEM prices and go immediately to used or crappy knock-offs. There's no incentive for Toyota to make them if there's no economic will behind the initiative. It's always been like that and always will be. Manufacturers aren't stupid, they know exactly who pays & who doesn't - the parts sales figures are right there in front of them.

I always like to hope I'm wrong on this - but I ain't, you can bet on it.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's always been like that and always will be. Manufacturers aren't stupid, they know exactly who pays & who doesn't - the parts sales figures are right there in front of them.

I always like to hope I'm wrong on this - but I ain't, you can bet on it.
I agree this has been the case, but the MR2 market is definitely not what it was five years ago. Better MR2s are now selling for money that is pricing out a lot of 'enthusiasts' (younger, not much cash) in favor of 'collectors' (older, disposable income looking for toys and with an eye on resale value). The trend among top-condition cars on Bring A Trailer and the cars Bob Pham refurbishes and sells is very clear: you can't get a good MR2 for pocket change anymore. The resale-value types will spend just like the Supra crowd spends to keep the resale value high. I doubt Toyota will start making OEM parts again, but I'm guessing it'll be enough for the MR2 Heaven guys to keep expanding their catalog of replacement parts.

Back on topic - I'd be surprised if fog lights 'not really working' has much to do with their light output. The concept just isn't that sound. The idea is the lights shine under the fog, but a) advection fog forms on the road, and b) even when it doesn't, and supposing the light shines under it, your eyes aren't under it. You're still looking through fog. But they don't have to work! They look cool!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts