MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my car into reverse it acts like it doesnt want to and grinds, but then after a few minutes it goes in with out a problem, anyone know what the problem is? im still new to the MR2 scene.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No idea how old the clutch is, I only bought the car 3weeks ago, I tried it a little bit ago and the it made the same grinding noise and the car jerked pretty hard, is it because its cold? or do I need to change the tranny fluid?

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Are you letting the transmission spool down after you push in the clutch from it being in neutral? If so:

The problem is that the clutch is dragging. Changing the tranny fluid is not a bad idea, but it won't help your problem.

You most likely have a problem with the clutch hydraulics (leaking / bad clutch master or slave), air in the cutch lines, a mid-adjusted clutch pedal, or a bad clutch. There also are a handful of other possibilities, most of which involve loose fasteners.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I don'tk now, I know for a fact that my pedal is adjusted right, nothing is leaking, and there is no air in the lines... What are those other possibilities?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I start my car in first gear, then put it into neutral then try to get it into reverse then it grinds and acts like it doesnt wanna go.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
^ yes don't do that....

i'm not sure... ITA knows a hell of a lot more than me, but i almost think it would grind 1st gear as well if it was your clutch...

if you aren't letting your transmission spool down, that could be the problem, make sure your car is stopped, push the clutch all the way in... if you are short u may have a problem with it... mine grinds if i don't push the clutch ALL THE WAY in (as far as my clutch pedal goes right now)

~mikeym

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I push the clutch as far as it can go and I am 6" so im sure it goes down all the way it jsut started doing it one day, it didnt do it when I test drove it, SO should I put it in 3rd then into reverse? Also could it be that the idle is high?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
uhhh

uhh...i dont know if it has anything to do with it..but i had that problem..and i didnt intentionaly change my gear oil because of that..but i changed it cause it was time..and there was tranny oil in there...but anyways..it stopped grinding for some reason and it goes in smooth..iono if it has anything to do with it..or it was just a coincidence.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
reverse has no syncros...

start the car in neutral.

Put the shifter into 1st and immediately into reverse... never grinds for me that way.

Marco

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Yep, the gear oil won't really do anything to it in my experiance, I'm using Redline MT-90.

I've just got in the habit of going first/reverse, or parking in first, clutch in, start, shift to reverse. The only times it happens is maybe 30% of the time I start from neutral then go to reverse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts