MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. New to this and have been reading through the posts. Not really sure what’s going on really. I’ve been doing research on n/a to turbo swaps and decided I’m going to do it myself. I have the MK2 1997 rev4 n/a GT t-bar (uk). So far I have the following out of a rev2 Turbo someone local is breaking...
Engine (complete
Turbo
Ecu
Engine harness
Rear hubs and shafts
Fuel pump
Engine + Gearbox mounts

do I need any other parts before I start taking it all apart? Also I’m going to cut the n/a body harness as I’ve seen it’s better to do this. Slightly worried I won’t be able to wire this up correct. What exactly do you have to cut? Is this on both n/a body loom and turbo engine loom or?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Do not cut the NA harness. The Turbo harness will need a few things shifted around to make it work but it's nothing major. Most is actually to do with the intercooler fan.
I did a similar swap a few years ago and only changed 7-8 wires to make the car run.

This shows the document I created for doing the swap. A few sheets of paper. I'll need to find these again to check what I did.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Did you do the same Rev swaps as me? Does it matter what rev you have to what you’ll need to wire?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I did a JDM 92 G-Limited car with a JDM 90 GT engine. But they are mostly the same but the the ECUs are definitely different. Pin outs on ECU will be slightly different but when you take off the lid you will see the pin outs on the board. One plug will need to be repinned to match the car.

I think some alternator wires get switched at the fuse box, I think it was the charge light.

At the ECU the FC pin needs to be looked at.

The white plug between the engine harness and body harness needs to be checked too. It might plug in directly or it may not. I know they changed it between 91 and 92. Even if it plugs in the wiring might be wrong so check it against wiring diagrams and the car. USDM diagrams are not the same as the JDM and UK cars. Similar but not identical.

Wiring for the intercooler fan just needs a few moved in the fuse box.

I'll have to find my papers to see what I did but you'll need to create your own as it won't be exactly the same being a GEN4 car. GEN3 is the same and the UK GEN5 will also be the same but the JDM GEN5 will not speaking of the NA engine.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I found some photos I took of the wiring I messed with. However I suggest you don't take it exactly what you have to do. All this is for is to help you figure out where to start looking. Grab the 1993 USDM wiring diagrams, look at your car, look at the wiring going into the car and cross reference everything. Write down a plan then check it again.

Some of this is confusing as the car will not have the the fuel pump resistor and relay so most of the top half of the first image can be ignored. do study it to understand tings but look at the wiring diagrams and your ECUs too. This is only a starting point. Not the final answer.

GEN2 3SGTE JDM into GLimited wiring 1.jpg

GEN2 3SGTE JDM into GLimited wiring 2.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts