MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New to the forum, I recently purchased a Rev 2 Turbo import. Not long after the turbo blew and took the engine with it. Fantastic.

Since I am now looking at a new turbo/rebuild and a full engine rebuild I was hoping people could point me in the right direction to push a little power out of the car. I know the rev 2 is a lot less tuneable than the Rev 3 but I have to work with what I've got.

Since the turbo is shot, I was thinking of replacing it with something like the Fensport Stage 1 Hybrid CT26, or is there a better turbo that bolts right on?

In addition to this I was thinking of fitting a side mount intercooler. Would this, on a rebuilt engine, be enough for 275whp if everything else is stock, including ECU and injectors?

Any advice, tips and especially links to available products would be helpful, thank you.

·
Super Moderator
91t gen5
6,845 Posts
275whp is pretty much the limit for the 440cc injectors you're pushing it to get that. I have no experience with a Fensport turbo I can't say if it's bad or good but I do know the ct20b from a gen3 is a tried and true turbo. Consider buying a standalone if you can find someone to tune your car, the electronics is what really holds the gen2 back remove that and you can make the same power as a gen3.

Out of curiosity what is wrong with your engine? It's odd that the turbo took out the engine too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
happened to me too. my turbo seals went bad and all the oil shot out into the intake and exhaust (mostly exhaust) and ran my engine dry nearly instantly. spun a bearing before I had a chance to react. never seized though.

on that note, j.harris is totally right on this. I've had gen2s and gen3s, the gen3 is a lot more advanced electronically but internally they're basically identical. I made close to 300whp on stock internals. Granted, the gen3 also has slightly larger injectors so there's a bit more headroom there. Go standalone and that will solve a lot of issues that plague gen2s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So would this sound sensible?

Exhaust - already has a decent one
Induction - Has a kit fitted, doesn't look too great but probably does the job
Intercooler - Fit side mount
Turbo - Replaced dead CT26 with standard CT20b
Boost controller - Fit manual one

As for the ECU, I might wait a bit longer to see what I want to do with the car. I'll downgrade my goal to something closer to 250/260 whp for now, and if I want to get closer to 270/280 in the future I can go the route of bigger injections and standalone ECU.

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
You should get to 250whp on this set-up provided your IC works well and have access to high octane fuel. I would add to the list;
FCD- as don't want to run unprotected
Boost gauge- Need to monitor output to ensure your not beyond limit of say15psi.

Often when 3sgte owners are looking to modify for more power I like to highlight the things not to do. Useful link on those that failed!!

How to blow your 3sgte

jimb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah spending so much on rebuilding everything means I'm going to be overly cautious, I'm not sure I'll ever push it to 15psi even with the upgraded intercooler. I've updated my build below:

Exhaust - already has a decent one
Induction - Has a kit fitted, doesn't look too great but probably does the job
Intercooler - Fit side mount from Tuning Developments
Turbo - Rebuilt hybrid stage 1 CT26
Boost controller - Electronic boost controller, start off with 12psi, moving slowly up to 14psi
FCD - Do I have to find a SW20 specific one, or are they generic?
ATS Racing Throttle body inlet - this is supposed to improve flow a little
ECU - Keep stock for now, potentially get PnP in the future
Rev 3 head gasket

RW BHP goal - 240/250

·
Registered
917 Posts
In my opinion, a stand-alone should be a very early mod on a gen 2. The stock electronics and sensors (barn door afm) are just not suited for beyond stock power safely.

I also don’t think going to a rebuilt CT frame turbo is very safe these days. The turbos are old, and rebuilds are less and less likely to work well. It’s actually very easy to weld a T4 divided flange to a gen 2 manifold then port it out to roughly the T4 port size. For just a hair more than an old rebuilt CT frame turbo, you can get a super advanced modern turbo like a Borg Warner EFR once you go to something like a T4 flange. I personally run an EFR 6758.

It does involve some fab, but if you want more power, I think it’s better to just bite the bullet early. As you know, blowing engines/turbos is not cheap and a PITA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts