MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while I’ve had a oil leak that comes and goes it seems to be coming from the exhaust side I’ve taken off the cover and reapplied rtv under the cam cap and the seal seems to be fine and was replaced ~1000miles ago I also replaced the distributor o ring while the cap dried, the leak will disappear for days and just randomly come back even before I reapplied the rtv. I’m wondering if it’s something to do with the oil cooler because the last owner removed and plugged the return line but as far as I can see the supply line is still there for some reason I’m not sure if the banjos connect to the engine but it’s connected to the cooler I read on another form that there’s supposedly a valve that sends oil to the cooler if it’s over pressure if that’s true maybe it’s that?

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,657 Posts
Could be from the internal dizzy seal. Has you dizzy been rebuilt to replace that?
The oil cooler lines can also leak. I suppose even if one is capped off. It's there for a purpose. Recommend getting new oil cooler lines (1/4" ID probably, or maybe 5/16"). Size it based on the old ones. Use fuel injection hose clamps. Regular worm drive hose clamps will leak sooner than later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be from the internal dizzy seal. Has you dizzy been rebuilt to replace that?
The oil cooler lines can also leak. I suppose even if one is capped off. It's there for a purpose. Recommend getting new oil cooler lines (1/4" ID probably, or maybe 5/16"). Size it based on the old ones. Use fuel injection hose clamps. Regular worm drive hose clamps will leak sooner than later.
dizzy hasn't been rebuilt just a new external ring I do have a newer extra somewhere that has a bad pickup for the ecu but it still runs with it I assume it means I wont have electric advance right? I'll swap them and if the leaks gone I'll just swap the pickup, and definitely going to check the remaining oil cooler line I don't think the banjo's even connected to the block but I might as well and also get new lines and reconnect it

·
Premium Member
12,616 Posts
I had an unidentifiable oil leak that appeared to be under the exhaust manifold. It turned out to be from a casting flaw in the head that had taken 20 years to open up. I realize that this is likely to be a one-off experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts