MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 91T with 67K on the clock. Obviously been sitting in a garage much of its life, and hardly driven at all for the last 4 years. Apart from replacing all fluids, she's started springing oil leaks that I will need to fix. One appears to be seepage around the head. Any hope of retorquing and resolving, or am I looking at pulling the head?

Jim

·
Registered
171 Posts
If the head were leaking oil, it would be around the rear, driver's side. I would check out the valve cover and gasket. The valve cover is held down with screw bolts that are hard to torque and thus often come loose.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nocera,
Leak is on the rear, but more center/passenger side. Alternator is coated!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would try to clean up the buildup as much as possible, drive the car for a few days, and then see if you can spot where the oil is coming from.

How does the timing belt cover and alternator belt look? If the oil is limited to this area, it could be your oil pump or crank seal. Pictures would help if you have them.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Did you switch to synthetic oil? That often causes leaks. Any photos?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Larry,
No switch yet...still planned. I'm not going to get too wrapped up with it yet. Doesn't seem to be coming from the timing cover, so I'll just monitor the oil level and hope the seals bounce back from being dried out....but I doubt they will!

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts