Cyl #3 - 164
Cyl #4 - 164

Here are the results of Hyde's leakdown test:
Cyl #1 - 5%
Cyl #2 - 20%
Cyl #3 - 5%
Cyl #4 - 5%

Apparently #2 is starting to show wear.
My mechanic said that when he did the leak down, that number sounded like the air was coming out of the intake side ... so I may have an intake valve not seating properly.

Otherwise compression is good and we are moving forward ...

·
Two for me, None for you
6,115 Posts
My brother's galant had the problem of his valve not sealing properly....Turned out to be carbon build up...some seafoam cleaned it right up.

-JD

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
He has water injection so shouldnt have much of a problem with carbon buildup. It might have something to do with being 200,000 miles old though.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
here is an analogy. i might be right or i might be wrong....if i'm wrong someone PLEASE correct me!!

compression= how much air the balloon is holding. anything about 150-160 is good.
leakdown= where the air is coming out of the balloon (if any). i don't know what is good/bad

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
A compression test tells you how much compression a cylinder can make...

a leakdown tester is much better for diagnosing what is actually wrong with your car...you screw the peice into each spark plug hole and it compresses air into your engine, while the cylinder is at TDC(so both valves are closed)...if you have a leak the air will leak past and you can listen for it. Jekyl said they heard it coming through the intake, so the air is bypassing the intake valve that is suppost to be closed. If you hear it coming through your tailpipe, you may have an exhaust valve leaking, through another spark plug hole, you may have a blown gasket between cylinders ect...it has a gauge hooked onto the fitting that tells you the percentage of leaking in your cylinder, your manual should indicate how much leakage is acceptable. its MUCH better than a compression tester :)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
emopunk96 said:
A compression test tells you how much compression a cylinder can make...so it will tell you if your head gasket is leaking ect..)

a compression test doesnt detect a blown HG, the leakdown will do that. the HG has nothing to do with how much air is compressed.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
jekylandhyde ~
even though i noted the comment about your running water injection and it makes sense that your cylinders, pistons and chambers should already be relatively clean, maybe you should try running some MMO through a few tanks of gas, it might help clean some things up in there.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may look into that ... right now I am pleased with where the engine is at considering the mileage and the abuse :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts