MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi MR2 Bros-

The old plastic on my '03 is starting to glisten less like glass and more like used Saran wrap- but replacement headlight units themselves seem to be unavailable, so I'm thinking that maybe I can restore the originals with a kit and some elbow grease, like they do on YouTube. The plastic seems thick and solid enough to withstand the buffing, and I'll use painters' tape to protect the paint. But if there's anyone out there who has done this before I'd welcome his advice before I potentially screw up and permanently damage these irreplaceable focal points. I've heard that the dullness is not just on the outside, but within the units themselves, so that there's no point in even making the effort. Is it worth it to just do the outside? Any suggestions? If I ever get them restored, I'll seal them with a product that protects the plastic from oxidation so that this won't happen again. Any recommendations?

Thank you-
Geno

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The dullness is on the outside and is the UV 'protection' that was installed over the plastic at the factory. Best thing it to remove that coating completely and buff it back to a shine. A coating for the lights will keep them nice for a while but it won't be permanent.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts