MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: I just registered to join this group and now I have a specific questions. I have to replace the water pump in my 2003 model. Usually I have my car serviced through the dealer, but this repair is too expensive and I think can be done by a reliable mechanic. How can I find a reliable mechanic who is works on Toyotas, specifically MR2's. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Next question: is there a site on the internet that sells genuine Toyota parts (wholesaler). Any pitfalls I may encounter?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cost at Toyota store should be around $250 total P&L. See if they will give you an estimate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cost at Toyota store should be around $250 total P&L. See if they will give you an estimate.
Hello: Thanks for your prompt reply. At the Toyota dealer I checked, the part alone was $250 in addition to $437 in labor costs. Do you have any recommendations for a shop that would do the service as you quoted. or less than was I was quoted at Toyota. I have tried looking up mechanics who work on this vehicle based on info presented on MC2Owners but the referrals are quite old and most shops are now closed. Do you have any recommends for mechanics in the San Francisco Bay Area.I found the water pump at Toyota Pars Deal.com for $100.41. Have you or anyone you know gotten parts from this website. Janet

·
Registered
91 gen 4 swap, 00 stock until the K20 gets installed.
158 Posts
I've ordered from Toyota Parts Deal and they are good. Same parts as the Toyota dealer for way less.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It looks like the dealer didn't want the job. Maybe they should explain the shop hours Toyota says it takes and their hourly rate. I'm in a much lower cost area, but they really seem excessive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like the dealer didn't want the job. Maybe they should explain the shop hours Toyota says it takes and their hourly rate. I'm in a much lower cost area, but they really seem excessive.
Yes they are excessive. I'll check with other Toyota dealers and see if I can get a better rate for service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts