MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my old battery tested and it needs replaced. Does anyone have any suggestions? What specs should I be looking for? Also, I am insterested in a light wieght battery. Who has experiece with these and can they be found for a decent price?

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
use a civic battery... they're very small and light, and still have about ~100cca more than the factory recommended battery had... cheap too.

if you've got a gigantic stereo might want to look at a higher output battery with a better reserve... like an optima or somethign.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As in a Honda Civic battery? I still have stock stereo and nothing else extra pulling power.

After searching I found a lot of people recommend the Odyssey PC680MJ. I am heavily leaning toward this right now, but is it right for me? What are the downsides? Most people using these are MK1 guys.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just get a battery from Wal-Mart...think they are called Everstart. I've got them in both my Mk2's...work just fine. Or, pay a little more for a Sears Die Hard, or Interstate battery, or the "Civic" battery...I'm sure they are all good batteries.

·
Two for me, None for you
6,115 Posts
I've had bad experiences with DieHard's. The walmart brands are cool, so are interstate. I have a Toyota battery...I got hooked up.

-JD

·
Registered
52 Posts
Actually, I once had a Die Hard Silver go bad on me after about 6 months...must have just been a bad apple, but the replacement was good. After that, I tried Wal-Mart and have been happy with them since...like I said, I got the Wal-Mart batteries in both my Mk2's.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
optima makes great batteries and they have the small civic size too if your that intrested they also have a huge one thats just foolishly powerful

·
Registered
818 Posts
as long as you have enough cranking power to run everything in your car, usually around or just over what is factory recommended it doesn't really matter what "brand" of regular battery you use. There are only about four or five major battery manufactureers world wide. They just put on different labels and warranties at different stores. Ofcourse you have the Optimas and other various gel cells that are a different story.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I picked up an Optima Orange top about 2.5 years ago (they don't make them anymore but have red tops that have the same reversed poles) and was happy I did. Not too many batteries have a 3 year free replacement warrenty and believe me I was happy mine did as I just had to replace it (Texas heat is hell on batteries) so basically I got 2 AWSOME batteries for about $120... Just make sure to get the reversed pole red top if you decide to go this route as the regular one you'll have to extend the factory wires.

·
Registered
66 Posts
civic optima battery

In my experience, gel cells are better and are more durable than liquid acid batteries. The lead plates tend to break off and short out the battery if not maintained for hard cornering or racing. My 83 supra, 77 corolla and 85 mr2 have all had batteries die this way. Supra was on my way home from work at 2am.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Nice bump! Zombie thread is revived!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Wow, this is old.

Braille GU1R

Lithium, weighs 6.6 pounds...
That is light!
Apparently Braille batteries are just labelled and overpriced versions of Deka
batteries and they're exactly the same internally.

I would look for the similar Deka model of the GU1R if there is one.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My Odyssey batt. lasted 7 years, no weight savings, Dry cell no leaks no worries. Optima battery failed w in 6 months, needed special charger. Have a Braille dry cell, can mount on side upside down, saved 19 lbs. reserve pwr. low, cranks good, need to put on tender if car sits for more than a week.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you have a Costco card or you know of anyone you could get one from there. Three year warranty. I got one for $68. It was a small one too. I can't remember the number but it has more cold cranking amps than the previous full size diehard I had on before and way lighter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts