MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i just found a link to this site over at MR.com:
http://www.exoticwooddash.com/wd129.htm

Was just wondering if anyone has purchase anything like this or done it themselves? I'm thinking that the brushed aluminium or the black carbon fiber option "could" look ok, or might be too much, but am looking for examples.

I've seen some pics on this board of some minor work such as the gear surround being carbon fiber, or the panels being done in gloss black. Looking for some more examples though! :)

Cheers

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Portgordon said:
Hey, i just found a link to this site over at MR.com:
http://www.exoticwooddash.com/wd129.htm

Was just wondering if anyone has purchase anything like this or done it themselves? I'm thinking that the brushed aluminium or the black carbon fiber option "could" look ok, or might be too much, but am looking for examples.

I've seen some pics on this board of some minor work such as the gear surround being carbon fiber, or the panels being done in gloss black. Looking for some more examples though! :)

Cheers
I did this in woodgrain on my Miata way back when. Pretty good quality. Looked OEM. Not sure how the metallic colors look.

The downside is that it's really, really expensive.

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
actual replacements dont exist. Whatever any of them are advertised as, they are just overlays. Some of them look really good, some of them not so good, and a lot of that depends on the install, but they are just overlays

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turbo2me said:
easy to install, i really like mine:

Well if thats an overlay you did one hell of a good job applying it! That looks great, I can't a single ripple or bubble!

what sort of price did you pay for those?

Whats everyones thoughts on how the brushed aluminium would look? My car is grey/silver so it may just be too much?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the only example of what the colour looks like on the site (unfortunately I can't find any real examples):

Aluminium:

Platinum:

My thought is that if I get the silver overlay then I'd be able to get this gear surround without it looking out of place:

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
WyrmMaster said:
actual replacements dont exist. Whatever any of them are advertised as, they are just overlays. Some of them look really good, some of them not so good, and a lot of that depends on the install, but they are just overlays
Exoticwooddash actually "paints" an image on to your parts. I'm not sure what process they use, but it's not a peel-n-stick overlay. The process is irreversible, and the parts look like they were manufactured that way.

It is also very, very expensive. They charge by square inch. I think I paid about $250.00 to have the instument hood and radio-surround done on my Miata. I'd guess you'd probably be looking at $250-350 for the shift surround, radio surround and the plastic part beneath the instruments on an MR2.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Portgordon said:
My thought is that if I get the silver overlay then I'd be able to get this gear surround without it looking out of place:
Honestly, I wouldn't mix and match. Go ahead and do your shifter surround with them also if that's the look you want. It'll look much better than if you go with real aluminum for the shifter surround and then their process for the rest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dsf3g said:
Honestly, I wouldn't mix and match. Go ahead and do your shifter surround with them also if that's the look you want. It'll look much better than if you go with real aluminum for the shifter surround and then their process for the rest.
Yeah I see what your saying - it'll still look miss matched with the two aluminiums - tis a bit pricey if I go for the aluminium and I don't like it....

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Portgordon said:
turbo2me said:
easy to install, i really like mine:

Well if thats an overlay you did one hell of a good job applying it! That looks great, I can't a single ripple or bubble!

what sort of price did you pay for those?

Whats everyones thoughts on how the brushed aluminium would look? My car is grey/silver so it may just be too much?
it was from ebay a few years ago....but you can still find the same style kits for around 100-125 bucks...these are overlays, but they are really good quality- very tough and clear coated...there is no reason anybody should have a bad install- these kits arent "stickers" or decals so you should have no bubbling or anything...just be sure to clean the area you choose to cover with alcohol....heres an example of the brushed alum i just found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1992-1999-TOYOT...603090152QQcategoryZ10428QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice one, thanks - it's actually put me off the aluminium look - rather before than after!
I think I'll go with the Carbon fiber and then just work with chrome trims here and there to get some silver in the interior.

Turbo2me your install looks great - I just can't understand how it looks so good with it just being an overlay. It looks like the overlays wrap right around the edges in all the right places, I don't suppose you could take some close up edge shots? Did you remove all the panels before applying or just apply whilst installed?

thanks again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts