MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to remove the stock "plain" mirror and install a auto-dim, compass and garage door opener combo unit. Any one else do this or install something similar? Any suggestions/tips? I will have to mount new mirror to windscreen glass in lieu of the roof mounted OEM mirror..Your thoughts?

·
That's what she said
1,085 Posts
honestly, I don't see a good reason behind this, but you can attempt to keep the original Toyota stock and just retrofit the new piece with the stock from the original Toyota unit. allowing you to keep it at the same location.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Dangerouss said:
honestly, I don't see a good reason behind this, but you can attempt to keep the original Toyota stock and just retrofit the new piece with the stock from the original Toyota unit. allowing you to keep it at the same location.
I see all the reasons to do it: Auto dim mirror, compass, garage door operators, larger mirror, and it looks more like newer cars with the mirror off the wind screen. Looks better then stock and its an EASY project...Why wouldn't you want to do it????

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strokd_GE said:
I personally like the ceiling mounted mirror but hey if you want to modernize your car in a very tasteful manner than I say go for it
Do they make a auto dim/compass/etc for our cars that are ceiling mounted.??

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
That I don't know.. I think you might end up being forced to use a windsheild mount, contact "nbvolks" he's done a few of these an makes it sound quite simple

I just searched auto dimming mirror and it's one of the bottom threads that came up

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strokd_GE said:
That I don't know.. I think you might end up being forced to use a windsheild mount, contact "nbvolks" he's done a few of these an makes it sound quite simple

I just searched auto dimming mirror and it's one of the bottom threads that came up
I looked and no dice, they dont make one. Anyway, its a no brainer and easy to do. i will post a pict when done.

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Yep, I've been doing this since 2001. :)

I use a Gentex brand mirror. There are (or at least were) only two companies that make these types of mirrors; Gentex which supplies most auto companies, including Toyota, and another one which I think exclusively works with Ford and their subsidiaries.

I've installed two different types. In 2001 I installed the basic dimming with compass model on my 91NA. In 2002 I installed a dimming with compass and temp (displayed one at a time) model into my 93T. That same model was transferred to my 94NA. I've thought about getting a newer one with temp and compass displaying simultaneously, but it's just not a priority.

Installation is very easy, and probably the biggest pain is the windshield button to mount it to. I had a really hard time finding the correct size button for this. Other than that, you need to run wiring out to a temp sensor at the front of the car. I have a "GM" branded sensor (but again, they're all the same). Lucky for all of us, the MR2 actually comes with a mounting position for this type of sensor. There's a mounting point on the left side of the radiator (looking at the radiator from in front of the car). This mounting point is designed to for the temp sensor used with the OEM auto-climate control on JDM cars, so it's an ideal spot for this type of sensor.

Aside from that, you just need a switched power source and you're ready to go. You should also take a moment to select the correct region for the compass to make it as accurate as possible.

Installed the mirror is a little bigger than the stock mirror, but not noticeably or obnoxiously so. It looks like it should be there. Plus, with a car like the MR2 and how most cars sit higher, it's GREAT to have the autodimming feature.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
nbvolks said:
Yep, I've been doing this since 2001. :)

Installed the mirror is a little bigger than the stock mirror, but not noticeably or obnoxiously so. It looks like it should be there. Plus, with a car like the MR2 and how most cars sit higher, it's GREAT to have the autodimming feature.
Cool. I've been thinking about doing this also, but always concerned about the size of the mirror.

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
dsf3g said:
Cool. I've been thinking about doing this also, but always concerned about the size of the mirror.
Yeah, I should add that it does not effect the use of either sunshade. So, like I said, it's a little bigger, but you can still put down both sunshades without a problem at all.

·
Registered
9,799 Posts
nbvolks said:
Yeah, I should add that it does not effect the use of either sunshade. So, like I said, it's a little bigger, but you can still put down both sunshades without a problem at all.

The mirror mounts down much lower on the window. That is the only way I could see how you would avoid the sunshades. I"m worried about gluing that button to my windshield.. so I'm having a friend of mine do it for me that is good at that kind of stuff, and wiring.

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
tksmr2 said:
The mirror mounts down much lower on the window. That is the only way I could see how you would avoid the sunshades. I"m worried about gluing that button to my windshield.. so I'm having a friend of mine do it for me that is good at that kind of stuff, and wiring.
Mine doesn't sit down lower. Maybe the one you got is a wider one?

·
Crazy OEM nut.
7,328 Posts
Luke_L said:
Nice.

How did you route the wiring from the mirror up to the radiator location? Drivers side A-Pillar? Through Fire Wall?
Yep, down the driver's side a-pillar, through the firewall, across the back side of the frunk (firewall between frunk and passenger compartment), then down the passenger side, through the headlamp loom/grommet and on down to the sensor.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
thwam said:
Does Gentex make any with a garage door opener built in? That seems like it would be the most useful tool to include into the mirror.

Todd
Yes. I'd like one with Compass/Temp/Garage. They call the garage feature "homelink."

Only thing is, they're $$$$$$....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts