MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
welded tabs and bent links

Recently my endlink tabs off both front coilovers were broken and bent in a little accident. I had them welded back on. However it is not as perfect as new. They are both exactly the same, they are not perfectly straight but only by a little.

Also the H&T links "appear" to be bent. Its so slight that I can't tell if they are or my eyes are playing tricks, you know what I mean?

How serious are these issues? Would it make a noticable change in handling when I am driving under racing circumstances?

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
not stright in what way?

and if you cant tell really if its bent it wont make a diff. just make sure they are adjusted properly

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the tabs are not straight as in, ones a smidgen higher than the other, maybe off to the right more than the other, like that, because it was welded by just an everyday welder, I didn't expect him or too many other people to do a perfect job.

So I'm guessing that since the heights of the tabs are different that puts unequal stress on each side of the sway bar. which is not good. But I'm wondering how much of a difference it makes.

I would say from looking at it that one tab is angled down about 1/4" its in that general range that they differ from perfect straightness.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
well it shouldn't be a problem if your running gh&t endlinks.... they are adjustable so shorten one or lengthen the other to make it equal distant from a common point to the swaybar

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The welded tabs are angled down and push the endlink down and it sometimes touches the lower control arm, i think thats what its called. Which is bad, and the endlinks come as short as they can go so i can't shorten them up. Which is bad. So the correct thing to do is to buy those two whole aluminum parts that screw on to the bottom of the coilover. Im lucky thats all that was damaged cause its an easy fix.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
ya that is bad
i thought it was just off a bit but thats more than a bit ther should be a ton of clearence back there for them

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha woops, actually that was when i looked at them while they were on jack stands. I got alignment done and, looked under while the car was on the rack and there is actually a lot of room. So, ya its not too bad, I might get around to adjusting the links, but im not in a hurry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts