MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first time attempting this. I've watch some helpful Bob Pham videos on Youtube, but he's doing on a gen 4 and 5's. I'm still on a gen 2. I'm trying to get everything loose from the top but I've hit a snag on the 17mm bolt below the coolant tree. I can't really see it or get a decent angle to remove it. Are you guys removing the coolant tree or no?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Having removed the transmission from my gen 2 twice now, once in the car, once out, it is so much easier to drop the whole engine+transmission then separate them outside of the car. If you have the right tools, that is.
I don't recall having to drop the coolant tree when separating it in the car. +1 to what CapnKestrel said. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
I am different. I drop the transmission from the bottom and lift the engine from the top. It is only due to not having a car lift and you can't fit the engine below without doing some serious contortions.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
491 Posts
I've always dropped the whole engine/tranny together, even if it's just transmission/clutch work. Done it so many times it's just easier and less contorting to me. As for pulling it out the bottom, I usually do not have any issues. Lower frame is out, front on stands, and use the engine hoist on the rear tow lugs to hoist the rear end up. Have to be careful on those with bigger front bumper valences, but for me this allows me to slide out the engine easily.

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Either way, you need to remove the rear crossmember (with sway bar and tie rods), remove the exhaust post primary cat to end, disconnect all the cables, disconnect all the hoses, remove the transaxle cv joints, unbolt the 4 engine mounts, and it should be good to go. If you are going through the bottom, put a crawler jack before removing the left/right engine mounts and let it down. Should take you about 8.9 minutes.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
The bigger problem for me is getting the transmission lined up and back in with the motor still in the car. I tried it once and was such a pain that I just drop the motor and transmission at the same time.
Even emery cloth on the guide pins, etc didn't help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts