MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to pull my axles today I got it unbolted from the trans ok, the problem is it won't come out of the wheel hub. There isn't any trick to this is there, it should just slide out right. Anyway, I ended up removing the entire passenger side strut assembly with the axle still attached. I still couldn't get it free, even with the help of a vise and large hammer (with a piece of wood so i don't mangle the end.) Oh, also I tried heating it with a torch, but that didn't work either.

Is there some trick to this? Something obvious I am missing.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
After you remove the cotter pin and nut on the outboard end a mallet/hammer usually does the trick.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
im still having problems getting the nut off, can it be removed with the tire on? the socket reaches that far, i thought that would be more stable than a jack stand as i jump on my breaker bar.

·
MR2-less
9,855 Posts
GhostRider said:
can it be removed with the tire on? the socket reaches that far, i thought that would be more stable than a jack stand as i jump on my breaker bar.
That's exactly what I do.
I remove the cotter pin and the metal ring thingy over the nut, then put the wheel back on the car with the center cap removed, lower the car back down on the tires, parking brake on and tranny in gear then use a 30mm socket on a breaker bar with a 3 foot metal pipe. They come off every time.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
thanks a ton kirk

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hmm, when ive had to take my axles out i havent been able to get to that nut with the wheel still on so ive jammed the trans in reverse, handbrake on as tight as it will go and wedged a thin bar between the wheel studs facing down so it hits the ground and wont let it move the hub any furthur around and get onto the nut with a big ass breaker bar.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I use a 3/4 drive torque multiplier which has a 1/2 inch input and a 3/4 output, and I use a deepwell on the 3/4 inch end. I drive the tool with a long handle 1/2 ratchet. You would'nt believe the torque that tool has, and busts any nut easily. I leave the tire on the ground to break axle nuts. This is a fabulous Pull a Part tool, it gives better results than an impact wrench but using no air or power.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
ok, went to homedepot and got a 5 ft pipe, worked great on the driver side nut, now the passenger side is a different story. I broke my breaker bar, and my 1/2 wrench. GREAT! is this thing reverse threaded? cause im treating it like a regular bolt. my finger also feels like its broken too.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
No, it's not reverse threaded - but application of some PB Blaster a couple of times prior to removal usually helps. They are torqued to like 128 ft/lb (assuming somebody used a torque wrench) - or usually somebody just spun them on with a 1/2" air impact til they stopped turning - and then the rust sets in. I've seen the ones from around here take >800 ft/lb to break loose, and they weren't particularly rusty. My "nut breaker" is a 3/4" x 2' breaker bar with a 6' section of 1.5"x.120 DOM tubing over the handle.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
thanks norm, time to go swap out wrenchs and soak it in more pb.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I finally got mine out today, after letting it soak in liquid wrench for 2 or 3 days I took the BIG hammer to it. It didn't want to come out but I pursuaded it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
ITA-MR2 said:
My "nut breaker" is a 3/4" x 2' breaker bar with a 6' section of 1.5"x.120 DOM tubing over the handle.
Remind me not to come around when you aren't expecting me. :p

Glad to hear that you got them out. I haven't had a big problem getting any of mine out, and mine went through this horrible northern climate. A plastic weighted mallet tends to break a lot of stubborn bits loose though without doing any real damage. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
dangit, im going to return the breaker bar and wrench tomorow, i hope i can get it off. if not its propane torch time!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I would hesitate to use a propane torch around the wheel bearing. I'd think the grease might "dry up" in flames a bit prematurely.

A simple large breaker bar with chunk of pipe that can exted the handle should do it. The first time I broke mine loose in 18 years they popped off without leaning too much of my weight into it with a 4ft pipe on a 1.5 foot breaker bar.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
WIWhite87 said:
I would hesitate to use a propane torch around the wheel bearing. I'd think the grease might "dry up" in flames a bit prematurely.

A simple large breaker bar with chunk of pipe that can exted the handle should do it. The first time I broke mine loose in 18 years they popped off without leaning too much of my weight into it with a 4ft pipe on a 1.5 foot breaker bar.
thats what i used first, a 5ft peice of pipe, and it snaped both my wrenches, ill get new ones and go at it again though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts