MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original alternator gave up the ghost in May. TwosRUs has reman Densos, but I have a 93 and they only have 91/92 models (which don't fit the 93 bracket). So I replaced mine with a reman from RockAuto, done by Remy. It died after two weeks. As it was still under warranty, I had them send me a replacement Remy, which I believe is now also dying, as it reads 13.5 volts at idle. So obviously I'm not getting another Remy! I really wish I could get a Denso, but on their web page, a '93 model isn't available. That leaves me more RockAuto brands:

AC Delco
BBB-Vision OE
Pure Energy

And what you can get from Autozone/Advance Auto:

Duralast
Bosch
Carquest
Reliance

Prime also sells remans, but there's no branding. Despite this, I'm inclined to go with them, as it seems they'd have gotten pushback from the community if their remans were as junky as these Remys I've had.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
13.5 is still charging your battery I don't see anything wrong with that. If anything I would get one of the cig lighter volt meters and watch the voltage for a while. If the Remy does give out again I would find a used oem alternator, they generally last a long time and if the bearings aren't bad and your valve cover doesn't leak oil all over it you should be good for a long time.

Is your car turbo or NA? Power or manual steering?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It had been reading a steady 14.5 for more than a month. No concerns about a sudden full volt drop?

I have no cig lighter port (well, there's a hole in the dash, but nothing behind it) or I'd try the voltmeter suggestion.

I have a 93 NA, manual steering.

·
Premium Member
11,975 Posts
... It had been reading a steady 14.5 for more than a month. No concerns about a sudden full volt drop?
It isn't a drop. It is a different alternator, with a different regulator. Your old one was running a little high. All that matters is that it is in spec. You can't expect the vendor to take it back unless it is out of spec.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Apologies for not being clearer. This current alternator was reading a steady 14.5 from the time I installed it more than a month ago until a few days ago, when I noticed the voltmeter reading a little low. I checked it and it was reading 13.5 (as it has been every day since then). I don't care about them taking it back, I just want a reliable alternator.

And are we sure 13.5 is in spec? That's with no headlights, no AC, no heater or blower fans, no defrost. I've been told with ALL that stuff running I should still be getting 14 volts at idle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As for the no-name reman that Prime sells, I suggest you email them, as they're pretty good at answering product questions, so you should be able to get some clarification on that item.

·
Premium Member
11,975 Posts
... This current alternator was reading a steady 14.5 from the time I installed it more than a month ago until a few days ago, when I noticed the voltmeter reading a little low. I checked it and it was reading 13.5
Yes, that is curious. Between what points are you measuring? To evaluate the alternator, I would measure between the positive battery connector and the alternator casing. That should be the voltage that the alternator is regulating. Variations at other points in the system would be due to wiring faults.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that is curious. Between what points are you measuring? To evaluate the alternator, I would measure between the positive battery connector and the alternator casing. That should be the voltage that the alternator is regulating. Variations at other points in the system would be due to wiring faults.
That's just taking the reading off the battery terminals. I'm not quite sure how to take a measurement between the positive battery connector and the alternator casing, just due to them being so far apart? I know this is easily done in a front-engine configuration...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after keeping an eye on it for several days, it's back to idling at 14+ volts. So I'm not going to stress about it until/unless it becomes a problem.

However, someone mentioned being able to monitor it accurately while driving via a plug-in voltmeter. Maybe I should start with the fact I have nothing behind the hole in my cigarette lighter/12v outlet. What's supposed to be there, and what is the liklihood of me getting a replacement?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts