MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not quite right for this forum, but ive got a 1996 celica st204 and ive swapped in a redtop 3sge beams. Ive had some issues here and there and ive now pulled the head off because i lost compression on cylinder 1 due to some bent valves. but besides that, i found something i thought was weird, if i align the timing marks on the crankshaft, all of the cylinders are pretty much at the bottom of the stroke. i thought that pretty much all engines were timed with cyl 1 at tdc, not with most pistons at bdc. i dont remember which pair was lower between cyl 1-4 and cyl 2-3, maybe it just times with cyl 1 at bdc? I ask because the way it was running was like the cam timing was off, and it was because i bent the valves, but i retimed it again before i knew the valves were bent and it wouldnt run at all after that. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any chance you're looking at the wrong mark? So all cylinders are somewhere in the middle of the stroke?
Mark should look like this:

And it's 1 and 4 at TDC when it's aligned:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea my marks are lined up same as yours, but ill have to check because im not sure but the reluctor ring looks like its in a different position. and yes, the pistons are in the middle of the stroke on mine. ill post a picture soon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so on my timing belt gear the only mark is a little dash, and the reluctor ring is in a different position. I don't have a paint mark or anything kind of mark on the solid portion of the reluctor ring.
Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Automotive wheel system Rim
Automotive tire Wood Scrap Motor vehicle Gas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on further inspection i wiped the reluctor ring down and there is a very faint dimple where yours is and i lined that up and it sits cyl 1 and 4 at tdc. It appears im blind, but i know why the valves bent now. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well from your pic it looks like the timing mark on the crank sprocket is way off, must be the reason for bent valves as the 3sge beams is an interference type motor

1 - 7 of 7 Posts