MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Don't mess with Texas
19,880 Posts
Top vent is fine and I let it drain longer than usual. I agree some will be leftover, but its not like I'm leaving half a quart or more in there. Trans has 192k miles on it and its been powering a 1mz the past 24k miles. I don't understand why user error is everyone's first assumption
Actually I bet there was a almost half a quart in there. Like I said it is real hard to get the stuff out without tipping the car at a pretty extreme angle and even then it still won't all come out.

Not user error, just how the trans is made.

Either way the fluid is not to blame, it picked up that color from whatever was in the trans before. I changed fluids in mine 6 times before going to shockproof and can tell you that I was still getting hints of the dirty original fluid 2 and 3 changes into that.

My shockproof drained out looking like it went in in my case.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Depends on mileage. I have used it for 6 years straight and 20k miles no probl3m. Looked new when drained
Having done 30k kms my fluid looks as 'blue' as the day it went in but I wonder how effective it is. After getting car and draining orginal stock fluid (74kms) this was the first other fluid I've used.

Going to drop engine and do clutch sometime soon and will probably re-use fluid and top-up as required.

jim

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Going two seasons strong and my car sees nothing but hard street use. I'm going to change out the fluid next season though just because I'm anal about preventative maintenance.

I wouldn't wanna try for 100k miles though. That's crazy!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
still impressed by the oil.
it shifts better then my E36 BMW whicch has hard shift fork!
Incredible stuff.

question beside the Topic - as i was on the Hockenheimring having some fun - i met a Gt4 Driver who had the Transmission oil cooler boltet to the Location where we have that hose-loop.Do we Need a cooling on "our" transmissions?

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
you mean on the track?As on the Autobahn i often drive over 180km/h for one hour straight in the night when the road is clear.
install a trans temp sensor and see what temps get to when riding it hard. if it's too hot add a cooler... doesn't need to be very big just needs to catch the airflow some. i have a couple small EARLS coolers i was planning on using for trans coolers... if ya need one ;)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
My new to me swap, I chose to use redline mtl 75w90. Car shifts great. Just have to get the solid clevis kit installed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

121 - 136 of 136 Posts