MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
mister3 said:
Amsoil does make really good fluids and filters for sure and abuse and sell the products but the shockproof is the best trans fluid i have used so far. can bet that if you check fluid it will look like shockproof still. on a drain and refill you will still have at least half quart in trans.

Have you also tried our spherical shifter bushings, roller bearing square replacement and solid roller clevis?
All of those, except I haven't installed the roller bearing square replacement yet and I think I lost it. :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
mister3 said:
i have run shockproof in ST165 and St185 transmissions with no issues. is EXACTLY the same internally but the "oil cooler" is just a hardline loop on the MR2
This is exactly what i was looking to find out. Thank you mister3! Lightweight shockproof it is then for my st185!

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
FYI/ I wrte Cameron Evans an email about this product...

Bill Strong:

A question that people are asking is which trans fluid to use. Of course we have been using the long time answer of redline MT90. But others are now chiming in saying they are using Redline Shockproof with great results. I see a lot of guys trying to solve mechanical issues with the gear box with fluid. Can you give some advice that I can pass onto them.
Cameron Evans - Redline;

Lightweight Shockproof is racing gear oil, an option for that transmission, but there is not a lot of data collected on its use in that application, and on paper, it would be to synchros.

If you're changing out the gear oil quite often and inspecting the gears, that's fine, but for anyone who's putting any real mileage on the transmissions on the street, MT90 is a better option.

These cars do not make enough power or enough grip to cause a lot of strain on the transmission as to require our Shockproof gear oil. MT90 is more than enough film strength.

Those that find one and gear oil working over another are sometimes forgetting that it may have a lot to do with the amount of wear on their box before they started experimenting with our product. Some may also be very abusive in the way they shift, the box, which can cause a lot of wear or make Shockproof seem like a better option.
Cameron Evans
Red Line Synthetic Oil Corp.
(707) 745-6100
[email protected]
www.redlineoil.com

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
About change intervals.
I race a V6 MR2 in endurances races, so my question was based on change intervals in racing conditions.

That fluid easily goes 30k miles under normal conditions. We don't normally make drain interval recommendations but we do all our fluids after each weekend. These races suck when you don't spot a failure coming, so a fluid swap is cheap when you're trying to spot something going away. Swapping out the trans fluid is usually less than gas money and you can see a trans coming apart in the fluid.

MT90 is the correct fluid for that car...
Cameron Evans
Red Line Synthetic Oil Corp.
(707) 745-6100
[email protected]
www.redlineoil.com

·
Registered
20,018 Posts
how many MR2s does MR Evans own?

reason i ask is that the E153 BRAND NEW using MT90 then drained and filled with shockproof will make a significant difference.

12/6/12
MANDALAY said:
The E153 just feels like the S54 . Gear changes are silky smooth and the MT90 hasnt let me down :)
12/10/12
MANDALAY said:
Had a bit of an issue with the E153 gear box hitting a brick wall changing from 2>3 at high revs.

Well i fixed it in my case.

Advise check the clutch pedal for height :)
12/27/12
MANDALAY said:
Thanks,

Put the Lightweight Shock Proof in and boy its even better !

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
my friend nick and i put shockproof in and it helped alot
this year i have swepco gear oil ends up its a darker blue then shockproof but blue none the less and has that same stick to everything character and was less money

so far it works great aswell

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
mister3 said:
how many MR2s does MR Evans own?
How many oil companies do you own or chemical engineers do you employ?

I am just passing on this info. Personally I don't really give a ____ what you use. But, if you are going to recommend a product, you best have the data that supports that recommendation. Because there are going to some pretty pissed off guys when after 20,000 miles the oil you recommended has caused so much wear in their boxes that they are un-rebuildable. Just because something makes a tired box work better by adding the il does not mean that is the correct product to use over the long term. I know that most of you will not own the MR2 for more than a few years, so you are basically looking for a quick fix. remember that a lot of these kids will blindly install these items thinking that you know it all, though it may work, you should at least post manufacturers recommendations. The long term effects of using the wrong oil could be fairly pricey.

·
Registered
20,018 Posts
Bill Strong said:
How many oil companies do you own or chemical engineers do you employ?

I am just passing on this info. Personally I don't really give a ____ what you use. But, if you are going to recommend a product, you best have the data that supports that recommendation. Because there are going to some pretty pissed off guys when after 20,000 miles the oil you recommended has caused so much wear in their boxes that they are un-rebuildable. Just because something makes a tired box work better by adding the il does not mean that is the correct product to use over the long term. I know that most of you will not own the MR2 for more than a few years, so you are basically looking for a quick fix. remember that a lot of these kids will blindly install these items thinking that you know it all, though it may work, you should at least post manufacturers recommendations. The long term effects of using the wrong oil could be fairly pricey.
if i ever hired a engineer for anything i'd shoot myself once i "woke up"

from all i have seen on these forums the "engineers" have kept the MR2 in the stone age while the people actually DOING SOMETHING are the ones making progress. so much of what "can't be done" is being done and with GREAT success.

but i digress... in 15 years of using SPLW in the E153 i have not had one single problem as of yet.

so you listen to the engineers and i'll do what i know works ;)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
- do you use engine oil other than the oem spec 10w30?
- do you run a blow off valve?
- have you modded your car?

Many of these things come without a manufacturer's recommendation. Mr. Evans comments about LWSP being "an option for that transmission, but there is not a lot of data collected on its use in that application, and on paper, it would be to synchros." A lack of data is simply that, a lack of data. Not indication that the LWSP doesn't work. But I have 20k miles on LWSP with no issues and only benefits, so I'll use that as my data. Not trying to get banned, just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
ugh..
Bill is not against using LWSP/SPLW, as he has pointed he doesn't care. Just providing information for those reading. To lay out both sides of information concerning the liquid. So that future readers can read about it and understand potential risk (this can be any mod/changes and thats why we read about it). You guys are too defensive.
I'm using SPLW and understand that it not redline tested for the s54 specifications. It is because of reading reviews and information and debated about the pros and cons that I am willing to take a risk when using this "magical fluid".
Right now though for me it still feels a bit notchy compared to mt90, it's not as smooth as it was with mt90. Maybe down the road I'll use a blend. Yet again, there was nothing wrong with my transmission from the beginning.

·
Registered
20,018 Posts
datguydenni said:
ugh..
Bill is not against using LWSP/SPLW, as he has pointed he doesn't care. Just providing information for those reading. To lay out both sides of information concerning the liquid. So that future readers can read about it and understand potential risk (this can be any mod/changes and thats why we read about it). You guys are too defensive.
I'm using SPLW and understand that it not redline tested for the s54 specifications. It is because of reading reviews and information and debated about the pros and cons that I am willing to take a risk when using this "magical fluid".
Right now though for me it still feels a bit notchy compared to mt90, it's not as smooth as it was with mt90. Maybe down the road I'll use a blend. Yet again, there was nothing wrong with my transmission from the beginning.
S54 takes superlightweight shockproof hence why the shifting isn't as great as it could be

S54 = superlightweight shockproof
E153 = lightweight shockproof

·
Registered
20,018 Posts
MANDALAY said:
I found it interesting that Red Line now has it on the prefered oil list and SLWSP for racing applications. It didnt about 1.5 years ago.

Maybe they were reading our Forum :)
not sure where he found it but.......

·
Registered
20,018 Posts
datguydenni said:
I am using superlight though, its yellow :)
is the appreviation for it suppose to be SLWSP? then woops
SLWSP it is then -- yes is yellow

have you tried the CRW shifter bushings and roller bearing square bushing replacement?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have not tried the shifter bushings.
Most likely will be picking these up from you one of these days. Though I just don't have the space to work on the car until I go back to Socal...

81 - 100 of 136 Posts