MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, and Im still reading around.
One thing I found was a lot of decade-old links that go nowhere for an adapter for the steering wheel to mount to a 91-95 MR2.

First question - I think it's called the clockspring, a black with large yellow labeled item - if I pulled that from the donor Corolla can I just swap it for my stock unit and the airbag work fine? Or will there still be an issue with the sensors to that new unit?

How does the horn hook up? I HAVE to have a horn, the airbag isnt as important, so Im focused on the horn right now.
Im reading about cruise control controls now, and will try to add that to the updated wheel. But horn is really important.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought some center cap emblems from a guy on the UK ebay site by the name of Teetammy and they are real good quality. He has a number of different MR2 logos as well as TRD logo items. The great thing is you can order them in any diameter you want, I think in 1 mm increments. These would work well in the corolla airbag. Here is a link to one item, but you should be able to find all his MR2 stuff from there.

I used the sticker from a TRD horn button for my wheel and it fit perfectly.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, did you have to remove the stock logo then apply this or what?

Any idea on the clockspring question? If I can just plug it up in place of the stock one etc?

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looking at the site - with shipping from UK that's a lot for one sticker. Looking at over 50$ shipped for a small sticker! lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I removed the airbag cover and then removed the stock emblem from the back of the cover. I then peeled off the emblem from the TRD horn and stuck it on the front of the cover. Fits perfectly. I don't understand why you think you need the clockspring, it's just a slipring that connects the components that turn with the steering wheel to the harness in the steering column. Unless yours is defective. If it is defective, you will likely need an MR2 slipring, as they may not be the same for getting the proper connections for the horn, cruise control, and airbag. Otherwise, you just need the airbag adaptor harness for adapting the Carolla airbag connector to the MR2 connector.

As far as the price from the UK, yes a little high, but saves time trying to source from a local supplier, producing artwork, etc. I bought wheel center cap logos for my aftermarket wheels, so paid $12.50 each and got what I was looking for, so cheap as far as I was concerned. But everyone has different needs when it comes to their cars.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where are you sourcing the airbag adapter from?

12.50 ea sounds good, and would be a better deal if I needed more than 1.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Better off keeping your MR2 clock spring. It's unique to the car though you could always repin/rewire a Corolla or Celica unit. The horn is grounded thru the steering wheel and is connected to the clock spring

·
Registered
32 Posts
I replaced my entire 91 wheel, airbag, clockspring and all with a Celica/Corolla wheel using just the adapter posted by dresix. Everything works correctly, including cruise control. Win!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts