MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a red mr2 turbo with 94 tails and wing at the GM AutoShowInMotion event at the El Toro Marine Base today. I think it had either a Greddy or KO dual exhaust. Very nice. Just saying, "Hi."

To anyone who went to the event, there were way too many people. I went there to drive the C6 vette but you had to first drive a regular car to qualify. So I went for the shortest line and still had to wait an hour to drive a toyota corolla. Then when you drive the vette, it's another long line and the course is so short you never get out of second gear. The vette was fast but not as fast as I expected. I guess I will stop thinking about trading in the mr2 for a C6 for now.

By the way, there were better cars in the parking lot!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Glad someone agrees with me that Vettes aren't that great. I mean... for $40k or whatever they are.... you can't beat them. But I drove one for a few weeks strait.... wasn't too impressed. It wasn't a Z06... but it was a 6spd. Felt too much like driving a Caddy STS as opposed to a sports car.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Do you guys have heavily modified mr2s? I felt the opposite of you guys on the C6. I felt the C6 was significantly faster and handles better than my 93T. The acceleration was phenomenal, pulls hard all the way from the moment you foor the accelerator till redline. Corners much better than my 2, I autocross occasionally and its rear breaks lose quite easily when accelerating out of a corner, the C6 grips like its on rail and never broke lose when I corner hard. Like ishcoleobo said, for $40-$50k, there is nothing that can beat them.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't get me wrong. The C6 is a great buy. Tons of performance for the money. I didn't get much of a chance to drive it hard because the course was short and you only get one shot. It did handle well but since I don't autocross, I wouldn't be pushing it as hard as on the streets as I did on the course.

I'm also by no means saying it's slow. I just expected the torque to rip my head off and push me into the back of my seat. Instead it just felt like a smooth pull to 70ish mph. I guess my car feels quick because you get the rush of turbo when it kicks in.

I like the vettes new exterior. The interior is improved but still looks kind of cheap.

By the way, my mr2 is a 91T with a ct20b running @ 17psi, apexi intake, greddy IC, ATS tb inlet, tanabe b pipe, apexi rs exhaust, joe's 2 stage WI, and Regamaster EVO wheels. Better yet I have an ATS td06 kit on order and a Wolfkatz rail, 850 cc injectors, supra fuel pump, and Nemesis waiting to go in. I went to the AutoShowInMotion to see if I was a long ways away from reaching the acceleration of a C6. I don't think I am or at least it didn't feel like it and with the stuff I will soon install, I think I'll be right on target. ;)

Ok, that's enough for this novel...

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I haven't driven a C6 yet.... I was refering to the C5. What I disliked the most was it always wanting you to shift from 1 -> 4th.... annoying. To me it just felt too long..... like it should have 4 seats or so. The only 2 seater I've been in that felt that big was a '99 Diablo.... but thats not a bunch of empty space.... its moslty engine.

I have a '91 na swap with JDM 3S, CT27, KO DP, boost controller, fcd, walbro 255lph inline pump, nsx rims.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey ishcoleobo,

I see you have an inline Walboro pump. Did you install it yourself? If so, how difficult was that? Do you have it running in series with your OEM pump? I'm trying to avoid installing an intank pump and would prefer an inline unit running in series along with my OEM turbo pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts