MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where can I find a rebuilt turbo engine? is there a well known place that rebuilds them?

thanks!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Anyone ever heard of http://www.powerpro2000.com/lb_toyota.htm ?
Long block
1998cc 4cyl 9/89-95yr Desc: Celica All-Trac 9/89-9/93, 4WD, MR2 1/90-95, 3SGT, Turbo, 8 Bolt Flywheel With12mm Bolts, Internal EGR

828C $2,399

New Pistons
New Rings
New Timing Components
New Freeze Plugs
New Installer Gasket Set
New Rod & Main Bearings
OEM Machined Block and Heads
New Cam Bearings
New Cam Shaft
New Main Bearings
New Push Rods
New Rocker Arms
New Valve Springs
New Oil Pump

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
Chris K--way to go especially with the 2.2L stroker engine. Also, www.atsracing.net ATS has the Chris K. motors and they can rebuild your tranny too and have lots of great parts and upgrades. ATS is well known and respected here on the board as is Chris K. Also, check KORacing ( www.koracing.net ) I'm not sure if they have them readily avaliable or if they just rebuild your engine. But KORacing is on the board here to and they are well known and respected too.
Never heard of Power Pro 2000. But, looks like their engine are all OEM parts. You can get excellent service with the folks on this board though. And for the price of the OEM from Power Pro get a better built (more performance IMHO) engine from ATS, Chris K. or KO. HTH

Daniel

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Dracon said:
Anyone ever heard of http://www.powerpro2000.com/lb_toyota.htm ?
Long block
1998cc 4cyl 9/89-95yr Desc: Celica All-Trac 9/89-9/93, 4WD, MR2 1/90-95, 3SGT, Turbo, 8 Bolt Flywheel With12mm Bolts, Internal EGR

828C $2,399

New Pistons
New Rings
New Timing Components
New Freeze Plugs
New Installer Gasket Set
New Rod & Main Bearings
OEM Machined Block and Heads
New Cam Bearings
New Cam Shaft
New Main Bearings
New Push Rods
New Rocker Arms
New Valve Springs
New Oil Pump

dude, NO. mr2's don't have push rods and rocker arms!!! NO, NO, NO!!! and $2,399 is a rip off for that!!!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, the stroker and chris k motors look awesome - exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I know... I am a n00b, however I just copied that directly from their site... I didn't actually type it... : )

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
FYI, chicoraceworks.com (mister3) also does rebuilt engines.

I have a ChrisK built motor and I would highly recommend you talk to him. He really knows his stuff. Do not go with some random machine shop that says they can do it. You will have nothing but problems in the future if you do.

Another option is to get a brand new stock short block from CriaggieB at IronToad.com and have ChrisK build your head.

-Scott

·
Registered
803 Posts
If you plan on doing any major upgrades ie. ecu/ big turbo then dont waste your money on a factory short block. If you are planning on staying close to stock then go for it.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, I'll probably do that same mods that I did on my wrx -

up/down pipe - catless
full exhaust
Larger IC
Larger injectors
Turbo upgrade
fuel pump
eng. mgmt.
intake
pulleys silicon IC hoses etc...

the problem with the WRX, is I kept breaking things with the stock tranny and engine. I just want to be able to do the above and get around 280 - 320whp and be able to run it all day long without breaking anything...

would you recommend the built block? and if so, would the stroker be nessesary? or would it just help with spool time?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You can probably skip the uppipe, but aside from that it looks like you're on the right track. :D (I had no idea what an uppipe even was until I got a WRX)

As to whether or not to build the block or go stroker, it really comes down to your overall goal and how much you want to spend.
If you're not planning on more than 280rwhp, then you could probably get a CT20B or a CT27 turbo, some form of engine management, skip the injectors and fuel pump and probably call it a day with a stock motor (or just a built bottom end).

For 280-320rwhp, a built bottom end might not be a bad idea, in addition to the fuel pump/injectors and different turbo option (ie. TD06, TKO SB, T67).

Beyond that, you'll probably want to look into headwork and cams (or even prior to that depending on how power hungry you feel you might get).

In any event, the stroker motor probably is overkill for the 280-320rwhp range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts