MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever heard of http://www.powerpro2000.com/lb_toyota.htm ?
Long block
1998cc 4cyl 9/89-95yr Desc: Celica All-Trac 9/89-9/93, 4WD, MR2 1/90-95, 3SGT, Turbo, 8 Bolt Flywheel With12mm Bolts, Internal EGR

828C $2,399

New Pistons
New Rings
New Timing Components
New Freeze Plugs
New Installer Gasket Set
New Rod & Main Bearings
OEM Machined Block and Heads
New Cam Bearings
New Cam Shaft
New Main Bearings
New Push Rods
New Rocker Arms
New Valve Springs
New Oil Pump

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
mr2's don't have push rods or rocker arms......and $2,399 is WAY too much for a rebuild!! i paid > $1,500 for my engine setup and its got forged pistons, clevite bearings, arp studs and bolts everywhere (except flywheel cause i'm just crazy like that!), plus i have a high volume oil pump and everything is new!!! WOOT!!

if your looking for a rebuilt engine talk to ChrisK, ya know everybody references him and i always wondered why, but now i know....he's the man!

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
flynhighaf23 said:
mr2's don't have push rods or rocker arms......and $2,399 is WAY too much for a rebuild!! i paid > $1,500 for my engine setup and its got forged pistons, clevite bearings, arp studs and bolts everywhere (except flywheel cause i'm just crazy like that!), plus i have a high volume oil pump and everything is new!!! WOOT!!

if your looking for a rebuilt engine talk to ChrisK, ya know everybody references him and i always wondered why, but now i know....he's the man!
$1500 for parts only or a complete longblock?

$2300 for a rebuild is a reasonable price -- but i'm sure those guys don't use OEM gaskets or other parts -- my guess would be aftermarket part use which = not quite as reliable

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
$1,500 total parts and labor....i supplied the longblock. i suppose if you are buying a complete oem rebuilt motor for $2,300 (with everything including sensors) that would be a good deal, but to rebuild an existing motor with oem parts $2,300 isn't that good of a deal (imo).

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
$2300 is a good price.

$1500 is amazing for parts and labor. I charge that much just to take the motor in and out of the car. Average rebuilds run around 3g's

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
flynhighaf23 said:
$1,500 total parts and labor....i supplied the longblock. i suppose if you are buying a complete oem rebuilt motor for $2,300 (with everything including sensors) that would be a good deal, but to rebuild an existing motor with oem parts $2,300 isn't that good of a deal (imo).
maybe you just have cheap ass labor over there -- $1500 to rebuild your core -- IMO that doesn't cover the OEM parts needed -- must be reusing alot of stuff........

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
if you consider re-used stuff: stock rods, stock valves, and ARP head studs(which are MEANT to be re-used) then yes you are 100% correct. however, for you saying i just have cheap ass labor over here, you are incorrect. there is a huge difference in cheap and inexpensive.

heres a parts list:
crank $75
pistons $450
hks 1.0 hg $100
arp main and rod $100
clevite bearings, seals, gaskets, etc. $350-ish
labor- bore, hone, decking, balancing (un assembled-piston/rod combo=equal weight, crank spun balanced; assembled-full rotating assembly from crank pulley to pressure plate), prep rods, etc. >$500

that's > $1575 right there.

yes, >$500 is very inexpensive for the amount of work that was done to this motor. i know 2 of the machinists and the owner very well so i was able to get this work done w/o having to pay an arm and a leg. i also did a lot of the work myself...like balancing the piston rod combo (all within a few miligrams of each other).

i was actually wrong to say i have >$1500 in my setup because i didn't include the price of a oem water pump and my toga oil pump...that right there adds a few hundred dollars. PLUS, i have recently taken my head back to have some vavle springs installed, and most likely a set of shimless buckets, which is another $350-ish. so when its all done it'll most likely end up costing me over $2,300. however, when you compare my engine setup to the setup from the first post....i'd take mine any day.

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
flynhighaf23 said:
if you consider re-used stuff: stock rods, stock valves, and ARP head studs(which are MEANT to be re-used) then yes you are 100% correct. however, for you saying i just have cheap ass labor over here, you are incorrect. there is a huge difference in cheap and inexpensive.

heres a parts list:
crank $75
pistons $450
hks 1.0 hg $100
arp main and rod $100
clevite bearings, seals, gaskets, etc. $350-ish
labor- bore, hone, decking, balancing (un assembled-piston/rod combo=equal weight, crank spun balanced; assembled-full rotating assembly from crank pulley to pressure plate), prep rods, etc. >$500

that's > $1575 right there.

yes, >$500 is very inexpensive for the amount of work that was done to this motor. i know 2 of the machinists and the owner very well so i was able to get this work done w/o having to pay an arm and a leg. i also did a lot of the work myself...like balancing the piston rod combo (all within a few miligrams of each other).

i was actually wrong to say i have >$1500 in my setup because i didn't include the price of a oem water pump and my toga oil pump...that right there adds a few hundred dollars. PLUS, i have recently taken my head back to have some vavle springs installed, and most likely a set of shimless buckets, which is another $350-ish. so when its all done it'll most likely end up costing me over $2,300. however, when you compare my engine setup to the setup from the first post....i'd take mine any day.
well -- you're doing some of the work yourself + "hook up" pricing on machinework -- IMO you're not in the position to say what is an expensive rebuild when the cost you have on parts (pistons w/rings, ARP fastners,HKS MHG)/machinework/labor...

i also don't see prices for:
timing belt
tensioner
tensioner pulley
idler pulley
headwork beyond "shimless buckets and valve springs installed"

PS -- you reference chrisK -- why don't you get a quote from him for your engine as described -- i'd bet it would be WELL over $1500 or $2300 or......

not trying to be rude -- just trying to state that $2300 for a rebuild isn't a bad price... might be a shoddy rebuild but price is fair ;)

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
GReddySetGO said:
My thought exactly.

Also, what about the labor to actually take the motor in/out of the car?
seems we're discussing the price of a rebuilt longblock. price for removing the old engine, dressing it, reinstalling is another cost alltogether which some owners attempt themselves -- but it still adds up.........

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mister3 said:
seems we're discussing the price of a rebuilt longblock. price for removing the old engine, dressing it, reinstalling is another cost alltogether which some owners attempt themselves -- but it still adds up.........
I would try to do this part myself - I was mainly talking about the price of the rebuilt longblock itself, no labor... I'm probably thinking of going with the ATS motor now though - it appears to be the same price and I'd get forged pistons and things...

thanks for all the replies, any more are also appreciated...

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
OK, that makes a lot more sense then.

Thats why I asked "parts and labor" labor being all the work involved. Cuz at my shop I charge around $3,000-3,800 for a rebuild. Depending on what parts need to be replaced and what parts don't. But that includes all parts and labor. Meaning you drop the car off, as is, and I do everything and give the car back running.

Which is why I thought $2,400 or less was an extremely good deal. Cuz like I said, I charge around $1,500 labor R&R on the motor alone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts