MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

While i am doing researching on rebuilding 3SGTE.. I can not find much info how how to rebuild tranny (93+)

Please let me know what is needed.. Thanks

-jjc.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Well you need a fairly large shop press to remove all the bearings and gears. I used a 4ton one and it did not work out so well, then i got access to a nice 30ton one and it work out great.
A STRONG t-45 torx bit.....i broke 7 until i got a 32 buck snap on one.....even still i needed to drill out 3 of the 7 torx bolts that connect the 5th gear chamber of the tranny to the rest of the gear box.
The rest involves a lots of diagrams showing what goes where so you can remeber where everything goes. That is about it!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
thats a camry tranny, it's a little different from a +93 tranny such as were the shifter lever is. You have to remove the pin in the shifter lever to get that part out and some unlucky peeps like me is having a wicked time trying to get it out whoohoo....

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
lol yea that pin is a pain in the arse....it really needs some work to get it off.

Lots of degresser and penitrant....

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Weasy2k said:
lol yea that pin is a pain in the arse....it really needs some work to get it off.
Use a pin punch and a hammer and it comes off in two seconds.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Most tranny screws are put together with locktite as well. Use a small hand propane or map gas torch for a couple of seconds and they will loosen up fine. (best secret to any locktite removal)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Tried the heated method and never worked for me...got one off but 3 were still jammed in there...as far as the pin punch thing...yea i used that to to get the lockpin out...but try to get a siezed shifter off. not that is hard...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts