MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to rebuild the sloppy shifter. Just what consists of the whole linkage system and what is worn out on it? On the RX-7 I had, it was simply two bushing and some rubber boots. What about the MR2? WHat do i ahve to replace? I would like to replace it with Toyota parts as I how aftermarket bushings make the car vibrate and shake. I sold my last car after I put new solid engine mounts on there, that mount ruined the experience totally

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
shifter mounts dont cause vibration or shakes..

get the speed source bushings. the toyota system is just 2 steel cables with rubber bushing ends on the tranny side, and bolts/links on the shifter side.. the shifter side doesnt wear out... you can also change the shifter base bushings..

ive done the shifter bushings on the tranny side with the speed source kit, and it makes a nice difference. close to zero slop and a nice solid feel.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I replaced the shifter base bushings with the aluminum Speed Source ones, and also the shifter cable bushings with the brass Speed Source bushings, and I agree... feels a lot tighter! Plus, one of my cable bushings was torn, so it felt pretty nice to replace it with something strong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts