MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i dont know if this would bump me out of stock class, so i might not need worrie about this yet, but i have a 89 N/A, and im assuming that my car would apprieciate a rear strut bar being I have t-tops( love those t-tops :) ) and around 170k, i havnt had any issues with body rigidity, so its not critical, ive got tons of compliments from mechanics on the chassis stiffness, but after riding in a S2000, with its x frame monocoque chassi and whatnot, i realized i really wouldnt mind some more rigidity!

problem is im having a hard time finding something that i know for sure is a high quality rear strut bar i have found three and i need to know which works in a N/A, and which is best, theres the Greddy strut tower braces, it doesnt say front or rear, and they have adjustable lengths(is this a good thing really?) so installation is easier, kinda worried id end up with another front strut bar, which i dont need, second and third are both Cusco, ones the AS, which is deffenetly a rear strut bar for a 85-89 N/A, but is this just a stylish piece of crap? and then theres the Cusco OS, which sounds great, but says it only fits 88-89 S/C....why? i would think the N/A would have more room in the engine compartment

anyways which one should i get, or is there one i dont know about, or should i just take up welding(no but seriesly which is best/will fit?)

·
WWW.TECHNICALGARAGE.COM
3,626 Posts
the cusco one is not a stylish piece of crap,I have heard it makes a difference when putting one on. You can ask Joel (not12listen) and he will tell you everything and more about it. I just put one on for my friend (russell's mk1) and he told me it's a noticeable improvement. The NA is a straight bar whereas the strut bar for the SC curves down and up for the intercooler.

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts

·
Ontario's first MK1.5,'05
5,126 Posts
I'm using the cusco n/a rear brace and i love it. It is adjustable on both ends. It ties the rear towers very nicely.

Martin

·
No! My car is not cute!
1,776 Posts
Man! Martin that engine compartment is unbelievable... It looks fantastic. And I hear your putting down like 390 too... I don't think I like you anymore. ;)

·
5,126 Posts
Deno said:
Man! Martin that engine compartment is unbelievable... It looks fantastic. And I hear your putting down like 390 too... I don't think I like you anymore. ;)
Thanks for the compliments Deno, but please tell me where your heard the 390 LOL. It's more like 310 flywheel. 390 maybe next year.LOL

Can't wait to see your ride in Kingston again, :thumbup

Martin

·
5,126 Posts
sorry to be off topic,

Deno, do you have any pics of your trunk wall? I will re-do mine soon and debating which way to go with the wall. I want 100% stock looking trunk space in the end.

Martin

·
Registered
592 Posts
you will really feel the difference with the rear strut tower bar...i can feel it on my hartop so guess i could only be better on an t-top

·
No! My car is not cute!
1,776 Posts
Martin said:
sorry to be off topic,

Deno, do you have any pics of your trunk wall? I will re-do mine soon and debating which way to go with the wall. I want 100% stock looking trunk space in the end.

Martin
If you are looking for stock looking trunk space you won't want a picture of mine. I made a big sheet metal box to go in the trunk to make room for the intake. I have no thrills in my trunk, it's all bare metal.

·
5,126 Posts
Deno said:
If you are looking for stock looking trunk space you won't want a picture of mine. I made a big sheet metal box to go in the trunk to make room for the intake. I have no thrills in my trunk, it's all bare metal.

ya, i kind of remeber your cut wall, mine is cut even more.LOL I want to box it in nicely and move the mouting tabs for wall carpeting out a bit so that the wall carpeting covers it all. I want to do this in a way that water won't get in....

Martin

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mk1-1987 said:
you will really feel the difference with the rear strut tower bar...i can feel it on my hartop so guess i could only be better on an t-top
what type do you have cusco or GAB, tryed emailing you and couldnt get throuh(rejected) if its cusco then ill have no trouble making my decision

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
i have an 88, so no matter what, the rear feels like crap without a sway bar. i have a High and Tight rear strut bar, and i can't really say one way or another that it helps a lot. i also have a sunroof, not t-tops.
The only comment i can make on the High and Tight bar is the lousy fitment concerning the side engine panels. I had to do quite a bit of griding on the ring mounts to get it to clear the panels.
I'd go with the Cusco one.
Anyone wanna buy a High and Tight one?

BTW: here's a pic of my enigne bay
http://www.onewest.net/jda/public_html/Chris/88mr2_eng4.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
One of these days, I'm gonn'a fabricate a test setup with slide-ring indicators on it to see just how much flex there is between the MkI rear towers. My car generates more lateral G's than just about anything you're gonn'a find on the street, so it would be a good test platform. I'm gonn'a be VERY surprised if it's over a couple of mm. Now I've just gott'a figure out how to do it on a test day or during qualifying, and than take it off. It's fer darn sure an illegal mod in IT racing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts