MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I`m new to this site and it seems to be the ideal place for my question.I have an 85 mk1 with the thin 10mm anti roll bar,I was thinking of upgrading to the high and tight 16mm bar.My worry is will the mountings for the bushes still fit? There is about 2" difference in the bar length between early and late cars, I mailed high and tight but have got no reply.So will the bar be a direct replacement? :uk:

·
Registered
363 Posts
kirkosaurus: are those miata rims? I have miata rims. Your RIP red mk1 looks exactly like mine, except I have a hardtop.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just to clarify, it will fit without any mods? :confused:

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
Do you still have the stock front sway bar ? If so, you will likely need to upgrade it to an ST front bar to go with the H&T rear bar. The H&T rear bar is big.

John
88 SC, 93T

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I`m not sure what an st front bar is is this an american maker? can you give me the site address? cheers. :uk:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
ST is Suspension Techniques. BIG manufacturer

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
If you start scrolling through the older threads in this forum, you will find several writeups comparig the ST = suspension technique bars and High & Tight bars.

·
Registered
499 Posts
http://www.stracing.com/index.html

st website. Pretty sure they dont take orders through their warehouse, but at least you could find a dealer though them or something. I have the ST package, front and rear. I'm very happy with it. I have been eyeing the H&T bar though. If i were rich, i'd be running one. Since i already dropped the money on the ST bars a year ago, its st for me. The H&T bar is a good value though, expecially if you like oversteer. Which i do.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
nopi sells the bars by themselves... also noticed they claim to have intrax sway bar kit says 19mm front and rear... odd IMHO... and for $330 you can do better lol.

mark

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks people i`ll have a look.so what do you all think is the best way to go for a road car .H+t rear and no change to the front,or change both front and rear? i want to use standard 85 fixing points.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to you all,I think I am going to try the H&T rear bar with the standard front.I think the fronts big enough as it is but I will see.

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
An 85 is the lightest of the MKIs and does not need a 16mm rear bar, especially with the standard stock bar. I think the H&T is way too big for an 85 with a stock front bar.

John
88 SC, 93T

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what do you suggest? its not a real problem i just feel its not as flat as i`d like in hard cornering.would the bigger bar change the handling too much?

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,965 Posts
The 85 is the lightest of all, so it doesn't need huge sway bars. I would go with the ST set for the 85, and set them both to full soft. That would give you stiffer front and rear than the factory ones. You can then always go stiffer, but do so on the front and rear at the same time to keep it balanced. The ST sways have 3 adjustment holes front and 2 rear.

John
88 SC, 93T

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anybody know where to buy an addco rear sway bar. They don't list any places that sell their product. And does Twosareus sell just the retro fit tabs. It doesn't show a listing on the site. Just a couple questions I had.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts