MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yeah have a 5s-fe with about 136,xxx miles and im getting about 170 miles to a full tank .

now im driving normal , shifting at 3k and warming up the car before i start driving . is this normal ? better be not lol

anyways so far i changed out the - fuel filter , intake , spark plugs , ign wires , distrubitor cap and rotor , and the o2 sensor . changed all of that and still getting horrible mileage.

timing belt was done at 107,xxx miles if anything .

there is a lil oil leak in the distrubitor cap. maybe cause ? i dunno

any other ideas ?

also when i changed the ign wires , they were ngks but instead of the round rubber base that goes onto the valve cover , its square . is that bad ?

thank you

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
The square plug wires are for 93 and up. I would have guessed the gas mileage problem was the oxygen sensor but you already changed that. Do you have a good connection at the connector?

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
etmoron said:
so yeah have a 5s-fe with about 136,xxx miles and im getting about 170 miles to a full tank .

Hmmm...170 miles to a full tank. So I guess you fill it up, and drive it until it stalls? Probably not.

What you really mean is you fill up at about 170 miles, which doesn't tell us anything about your fuel consumption.

The next time you fill up, look at the gallons on the gas pump.

Divide the miles (on the odometer), by the gallons on the gas pump, and you will get miles-per-gallon. Then we will know if its good, bad, or normal.

bill

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry ill check it again when i drive , but its usually all the way full and goes down you about nearly empty but still isnt 170 pretty low ?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
jeese Bill give him a break, I understand what he is saying, the N/A should normally get about 300 miles from full to the empty light. AND I KNOW THAT ISN'T ACURATE BETWEEN ALL CARS, but a rough estimation. I would check to see if you ahve a locked up rear brake caliper, I had the top pin of my rear caliper lock up from rust and drag the brakes making my gas mileage go down like 10mpg. when your on a slight grade stopped does the car roll backwards on its own?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
how long has it been since your oxygen sensor has been replaced? air filter? oil and filter? distributor cap/rotor, plugs and wires?

what kind and weight of oil are you running?

are your tires properly inflated? how is your alignment?

all these things can have a huge influence on your gas mileage

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Yes, I agree that is is reasonable to expect about 300 miles from full until the light comes on. But he didn't sy he drove it until the light came on, did he? So all we really know is that he fill up at about 170 miles.

I fill up my Miata at about every 300 miles, but that doesn't tell you anything about my fuel usage, does it? And my wife fills up her Camry about every 400 miles. But what does that tell you?

I just don't get it. Everyone seems to know how many miles they drive between fillups. The gallons is right there on the pump. Doesn't anybody notice how many gallons they put in? Miles/gallons = MPG. Its not complicated.

BTW, my Miata usually takes about 10.5 gallons, (28.6 MPG) and the Camry usually takes about 16.5 gallons. (24.2 MPG) :)

bill

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
etmoron said:
sorry ill check it again when i drive , but its usually all the way full and goes down you about nearly empty but still isnt 170 pretty low ?
Well, a "tankfull" is actually 14.3 gallons. So even at 15 MPG, you would get over 200 miles. So yeah, it sounds like you probably are not getting good mileage. But the problem is your not using a "tankfull" so that's just a guess. You really don't know what your gas mileage is.

Its so simple to determine miles-per-gallon accurately, so you don't have to guess. And the more accurately you can describe your symptoms, the more likely you are to find a solution.

bill

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
billwot said:
Yes, I agree that is is reasonable to expect about 300 miles from full until the light comes on. But he didn't sy he drove it until the light came on, did he? So all we really know is that he fill up at about 170 miles.

I fill up my Miata at about every 300 miles, but that doesn't tell you anything about my fuel usage, does it? And my wife fills up her Camry about every 400 miles. But what does that tell you?

I just don't get it. Everyone seems to know how many miles they drive between fillups. The gallons is right there on the pump. Doesn't anybody notice how many gallons they put in? Miles/gallons = MPG. Its not complicated.
BTW, my Miata usually takes about 10.5 gallons, (28.6 MPG) and the Camry usually takes about 16.5 gallons. (24.2 MPG) :)

bill
That takes extra work Bill Geeze! ;)

I don't think Bill was out of line or rude on any part. He was just simply stating to get an accurate response we need accurate information. Giving miles per tank is not accurate at all as Bill has stated.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
guys you just hafta remember:

Bill wears a pager that goes off every time someone starts a thread about A/C or bad gas mileage (miles per tank :lol2: )

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Dijital357 said:
guys you just hafta remember:

Bill wears a pager that goes off every time someone starts a thread about A/C or bad gas mileage (miles per tank :lol2: )
You must have a pager with the same number. You usually show up with the same comment.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts