MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car started making some type of rattle sound at idle, nothing loud, but something that only a carefull ear could pick out. i got out my car stethicscope and started poking around. if i put it on the tranny and rev the car, i hear a loud rattle, low to medium in pitch that gets louder as i rev the car. the cluch engagement has been feeling crappy lately, and i could have sworn that i felt the clutch slip at 14-15psi.

does this sound like a clutch ready to go bad, or throwout bearing knocking around? or could it be something wrong with the motor (rod knock?).

the car is a 98 celica gt with a 3sgte swap. im using my stock gt tranny, act street disk, toyota oem pressure plate, act throw out bearing.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
It's probably just the TOB. It's a roll of the dice even with the factory toyota one whether it will be noisy or not. Try pushing in the clutch slowly with the car idling and see if the noise goes away before the clutch starts to disengage. If it does you can probably adjust the noise away with the clutch pedal adjuster.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i have a "rattling" noise that i can hear at idle too that goes away when I push my clutch pedal in. So what your saying is there is something to adjust to get rid of it or lessen it all together. Where is this adjustment??
.....sorry to jump in on your post, but if we have the same prob

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i tired adjusting the clutch pedal already and in the past it has made a high pitched type of sound. this time it sounds deeper and clutch engagement is crappy.

ive had this clutch in for about 6 moths. since day one, it never felt as good as my stock one did. it got better after a while tho, but now seems to have gotten wose.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
dang ... im having the same problem only ...

when i drive and throttle a bit . i can hear it quit good.
when the car rolls there is no rattle anymore.
when i rev the engine up in neutral , i dont hear it either.

my clutch feels VERY bad the last days also , and i'm having the idea that it is the tob too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have an ACT stage3 Disk and had a smiliar noise, Turns out it was the TOB even though It was brand new.

I bought some White Lithium grease from Advanced, and spraked a TON down the shiftfork while some one pumped the clutch slowly...It stoped it for about 3 weeks, when It came back I just sprayed it again..

-Chris

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update: i took the car into a tranny place to get their diagnosis. they said that the rattle is def cause by the clutch and throw out bearing and that those need to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts