MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gen4 3sgte and I know it's ideal to run 93 octane but we only have 92 in WA. Is there a particular octane booster that works well or some other technique? Thank you

·
Registered
1986 MK1.5
447 Posts
I've had good experience with Lucas Octane boost in my gen3 with a Mines ECU rated for 95 octane. It's supposed to raise octane up to the level I need, and it has done well. Fred Meyer is where I get it as it's much cheaper than most auto parts stores. One bottle per fill-up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had good experience with Lucas Octane boost in my gen3 with a Mines ECU rated for 95 octane. It's supposed to raise octane up to the level I need, and it has done well. Fred Meyer is where I get it as it's much cheaper than most auto parts stores. One bottle per fill-up.
Thank you! Fred Meyer is a stone's throw away, I'll give it a try.

·
Premium Member
12,876 Posts
Water injection.

·
Premium Member
12,876 Posts

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
+1 On WI.
If you only want to increase octane a few Full points (92 to 94) get some methanol and add to tank. Can safely ad 10% by volume to boost octane rating. From what I understand and correct me if I’m wrong, octane boost which is mainly tordene will only increase by several tenths of a point (92 to 92.4).

Jim

·
Registered
1986 MK1.5
447 Posts
The Lucas stuff contains MMT. When you try to search for details on octane boosters, there are too many paid sites that list the "Top 5" Octane boosters out there that are all crap, and I have no definitive results on actual octane ratings after adding it. It's just the only thing I can get a hold of easily around here. Other forums have discussed that MMT is actually pretty decent at raising octane levels by whole numbers, not tenths. But I really don't have much to go on to back that up. I wish I could find E85 around here, but it doesn't exist. I had great luck adding a few gallons of E85 to each tank of fuel in the past.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
It’s been many years since I’ve looked at fuel additives so technology must have improved. I just remember how poorly they worked running blowers on V8’s which is why it was hard to find evidence on actual percentage increases. They always reference ‘points’ increase but a point was 1/10th MON octane so you needed several bottles per tank. This got expensive with no clear indication on what was achieved.

Back then we managed to buy Avgas which was the best around being 100+ RON so additives got chucked to the boy racers. Didn’t hear about many planes falling from sky due to running lean.

Jim

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do not mess with avgas or MMT. Avgas is leaded and will leave all kinds of lead residues in your engine that are highly toxic. It'll foul up sensors in the exhaust and contaminate your oil and require much shorter OCIs than usual. MMT will cause issues with Mn buildups throughout the engine as well, there's a reason why it's been phased out in favor of ethanol: http://www.meca.org/galleries/files/Schindler.pdf

You can probably run 92 octane safely on the stock boost/tune, OEMs usually leave a decent amount of knock margin in case you leave your car sitting for 6 months and some of the octane-adding components have evaporated into the charcoal canister. If you're really concerned or you plan on tracking the car I would consider flex fuel, even at the same amount of boost to give yourself as much knock margin as possible.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a better option. There's a gas station near by that sells 101 octane unleaded. I'll just mix about 3 gallons of that with 92 pump gas.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Something like VP racing HP 101 is great stuff, just really, really expensive because they don't use MMT or lead to get to that 101 octane.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You would be fine on stock tune with 92. I have run my JDM MR2 on shell 91 with no issues, and i am not stock, other than ECU.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts