MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just replaced my radiator and fans with Mishimoto's radiator and fan shroud. I was in the process of trying to bleed coolant when I noticed the fans weren't' turning on. I did the BGB and online research, but still a little confused.

When I unplug the radiator's temp sensor the fans kick on... When I heat the car up past 185F, the fans don't kick on. I assume I "broke" the sensor during the radiator swap (not sure how I did that)??? I thought maybe I messed up the fan plug splicing/wiring. But, if I did the fans wouldn't work when I unplugged the sensor, right?

·
Premium Member
11,924 Posts
When I unplug the radiator's temp sensor the fans kick on... When I heat the car up past 185F, the fans don't kick on...
185F might not be enough to trigger the fans. Where are you measuring the temperature?

The point is, these cars don't require radiator fans very often. The cooling system has vast overcapacity. One reason is that a lot of heat is dumped in the tunnel pipes before the coolant even gets to the radiator. Many people have complained that their fans don't work, when in fact they have not been needed. To be sure, you can test your sensor in boiling water and check the resistance against spec.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a standalone (MSPNP) and was reading the temp that way. I idled it up to about 190F and was worried about overheating (since coolant was steaming and bubbling in my funnel). Around what temp is considered "overheating" anyway? Just out of curiousity...

But, that's good information and confirms what I was reading elsewhere (regarding the car's stock ability to cool itself). My noob/nervousness struck again... thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts